Hi

I had a bit too quick math on there, tank running for 9 weeks.
Week 1 - +2 green chromis
Week 2 - +3 green chromis
Week 4 - +4 clown fish
Week 5 - +1 pussey coral
Week 6 - +1 green clove polyp
Week 7 - +1 copperband, +1 flame angel, +1 majestic angel

Touching wood, I have never had any problems with my tank/water quality to date.

Majestic angel is reef safe with caution. The corals that I do have/will stock, is corals that the Majestic should not eat. Besides with a good feeding variety and dry seaweed in the tank, it reduces the risk of the Majestic trying to eat corals.

My copperband is at the moment thriving. He is looking really healthy. I add copepods and live food to the tank on a 2 weekly basis.

So at the moment everything is going well.

There is caution with most things marine, but there is always trial and error unfortunately.

Thanks for the post! Lets hold thumbs all goes well!

You should be waiting 2-3 weeks between additions, more if you are adding multiple fish. And the fact you have algae indicates you have water quality issues.

Also copperbands dont eat pods like you seem to think. In the wild they eat soft corals and anemones, so unless he is eating frozen right now he is only slowly starving to death.

Well he is definately eating. Frozen food and live food, doesn't enjoy the flake too much. I was reading up the copperband butterfly is one of the only reef safe butterfly fish.
My algae problem can be cause by my tank being next to a large window, and over feeding. It is generally only at end of week 2 when I do a water change that the brown algae will start to build up.
I have a 630l tank with 110l sump, 15% live rock to water ratio.
There is a friend of mine who has a copperband butterfly with 2 clownfish in a tank with about 15 different corals, and he has never had a problem (copperband is 8 years old now). So there is always exceptions to the rule it seems.

You should be waiting 2-3 weeks between additions, more if you are adding multiple fish. And the fact you have algae indicates you have water quality issues.

Also copperbands dont eat pods like you seem to think. In the wild they eat soft corals and anemones, so unless he is eating frozen right now he is only slowly starving to death.

However researching other sites are stating what you said about the copperband. Does make me worry a little now. He/She is 3 weeks strong now and my corals appear untouched from predators.
Will definately keep you posted, but hopefully I won't hear "I told you so"!

Back