Hi!

Kylekaitmom

Reefing newb
I am new to saltwater. I am doing the best I can for my son. He is autistic and has always wanted his own reef. I bought an established 68 gal reef tank last month and except for a few minor hiccups it has gone ok. Until last night. The center support fell off on one side! Now i am freaked. Hopefully I can get it repaired.

I finally bought the tank bc finances had gotten stable. I was going to buy a RO/DI unit this month, but we were dealt a huge blow. Tricare is no longer going to cover my son's occupational therapy. This is going to cost us 1500$ a month out of pocket now. There goes my RO/DI budget. I am crushed. I think I may have to give up the big tank and just keep the biocube I bought used bc my son wanted to sleep downstairs with the fish. I set up the 14 gal biocube in his room so he is happy. I don't know how to tell him the big tank needs to go. I am crushed. He has opened up so much and actually enjoys spending time in the living room with us now. He has even shown EMpAtHY for the fish in his care, this is HUGE for my son. He is diligently caring for a new hippo tang in our QT tank and even begged her not to die when she got covered in ich. She is doing well in hypo saline conditions now. I don't know what the right thing to do is.

In my 68- Scopas Tang (not the most colorful, but he is the funniest by far)
Three Stripe Damsel
Small Clownfish
Coral Banded Shrimp
Mushrooms, green star polyps, nothing fancy
Hermits and snails and bristle worm CUC

Biocube- B/w Clownfish
Yellow Headed Jawfish
Tail Spot Blenny
Cleaner Shrimp
Pompom Crab
Birdsnest, Orange Riccordea, misc Zoas, Pink Stylo SPS, Pink Xenia, Frogspawn
Tiny hermits, snails, tiny brittle sea stars CUC

10 gal QT- 2inch Hippo Tang (sg: 1.009)

Welcome aboard! I am sorry to hear about your finance troubles after setting up the tank.
I wanted to mention that you are a bit overstocked in the biocube. I would move one of those fish into the bigger tank for now or sell it back to the LFS. The hippo tang would not do well in a 68 gallon tank. They need a ton of swimming room. A great guide for researching your fish's req

....requirements is LiveAquaria.com. They have a great list of each fish's needs. Good luck with everything. The tank may be too small for the scopas as well. I am not familiar with that tang. Tangs tend to get ich when they are stressed.
Sorry about the double post. I sent it on accident. Doh!

And why I didn't just edit it, I have no clue... one of those moments...

The scopas was in the tank when I got it and has been in there since he was 1.5 inches. He is only about 3 inches long and seems to be doing well right now. I also got the smallest hippo I could find and made sure I had lined up a larger home for her when she out grew my tank. The building next to my station has a huge reef display and she can move in there down the road.

The biocube was stocked that way when I got it. I know it is overstocked. I am working to get the pH and salinity to match in the two tanks since the salinity was really high when I got the cube. I am lowering it slowly and I plan on moving the clownfish to the big tank if she will integrate. She is larger than the clown that is already in the big tank so I am not sure that will work, but if it doesn't I will move the tail spot. The jawfish is quite happy in there and the sand bed in my big tank isn't deep enough for his shenanigans.

Finances may not be an issue for much longer. An LFS in my area is going to see if they can get a RO/DI donated to my son and they are offering a 125 and maintenance, which I can't accept until I have the RO/DI. I hope it all works out. I just got the call from this afternoon asking if I had the space for a 125 bc someone ordered a custom one and had miss measured. As soon as I know I can get a RO/DI I will start working on the stand. Fingers crossed!

Hello and welcome to the site...my gf is an occupational therapist, and she said if you're son is in public school, then the school should supply the ot for free...and if he isn't in school, then he can get therapy thru early intervention for free also. Although we're in Chicago, Illinois, she said its a nation wide program. Good luck with your son and the fish tank. :)

He gets some OT at school, but it didn't seem to be helping him so we found a private provider, he still goes to OT at school but the after school therapy has made a huge difference and I hate to stop.

Finances may not be an issue for much longer. An LFS in my area is going to see if they can get a RO/DI donated to my son and they are offering a 125 and maintenance said:
That's great and kudos to that LFS. There are some great ones out there and a lot of bad ones but as a society we tend to focus on the bad stuff.
I hope it all works out!!

Back