Hibye's 125 Gallon Build Thread!

hibye

Reef enthusiast
Hello everyone! Summer is coming and I am ready to buy new things for my tanks.

Today I moved the 125 gallon tank and stand downstairs to my bedroom. I also have about a 5 gallon bucket full of gravel ready for the tank. One tall 20 gallon sump, and one long 20 gallon sump. The tank is made by marineland. The back is spraypainted matte black. I have about 50% of the plumbing parts nesscary for the tank currently. I have "Miricle Mud" for the refugium and some of the algea scrubber finished.

Now some pictures!
Photo0426.jpg

Photo0428.jpg

Stand, still needs doors and all the electric wiring.

Photo0425.jpg

Five gallons of gravel. (Not including a pound or two still in the tank.)

Photo0424.jpg

Tank, is that a reflection of Hibye?!?!.

Photo0427.jpg

Two Sumps with plubing and miricle mud

125GallonTank.jpg

Future plans (Not including Fish or rock)

Wow finally a picture of the elusive Hibye!! :)

I'm glad you are getting your big tank up and running. Looks good so far. Did your dad help with the stand?

Can't wait to see more updates throughout the summer!

Thanks, And Yeah he helped me out with it. I plan on buying a 760 watt Odyssea Halide setup, Odyssea UV steralizer, and other things. I am not sure on what skimmer or pumps to buy yet. I cant find a cheap/good skimmer and im not sure what brand/GPH pump to get?

Octopus skimmers are pretty cheap (a couple hundred bucks). You could even try to find a used one.

What fish do you want to keep?

I plan to keep smaller fish and maybe a tang or two. I still have my yellow watchman goby so he'll be in there as well.

Maybe take a look at the Mag pumps.. I use a Mag 9. A Mag 12 will do 1200gph without headloss. The reason I'm suggesting a mag pump is that it has a sponge on the intake that you can remove and easily clean. You want to try to keep as much gunk from getting back to the tank as possible. Some people have complained that they're a little loud but I don't notice it. But before buying, let others state there opinions is the tank is in a main living area. You certainly don't want a loud pump.

I originally purchased large Mag pumps but the were tremendously loud so I returned them. I have found the Qoiet One pumps to be more acceptable. It my just be the sheer size of them and it may not be an issue in the smaller pumps.

In my 125, I use a mag 9, which puts out 9000 gph before headloss. I have dual returns, so not sure if you have the same or not, but that's what I did.

Back