Hibye's 125 Gallon Build Thread!

Amanda actually just uses a jet turbine from a 747...Gives a whole new meaning to the word turbulence.

Those pumps are a little expensive but What GPH should I have?

On general you want 10x the amount of flow for your tank. So in your case,
125+ gallons x10 = 1250gph...

Yes. I love me my turbine. But jet fuel sure does get expensive...

well, my strategy is, I don't want a rushing torrent for a sump.... so I used a smaller return pump, and 4 big powerheads to achieve the rest of the water movement. I actually have appx 40x turnover, mostly pointed at the surface of the water because each powerhead is too strong to do anything else. :)

I don't know exactly what your plan is in regard to design, but if you're doing a typical design where the sump is directly under the Display tank you'll only need 1 return pump. Gravity will bring the water down from the display tank to the sump, and then the water travels through the sump and gets returnd back to the Display tank. So you only need 1 pump, could you use 2? yes, I suppose you could but it might get a little crowded in your sump with 2 pumps.

IMO if you're looking to save money on your design don't skimp on a quality return pump...maybe check Craigslist for a used one. The only thing I haven't bought from Craigslist for my tank is the livestock and sand.

PRC, somewhere in this thread Hibye showed diagram where he wants to have two separate sump tanks. I think that's why he' asking about 2 different pumps.

Thanks, I might save up for the MAGs but beofre that I need to calculate head loss and pipe size and what not. I will be on later to give you that info.

Back