High Alkalinity problems?

adudle00

Reefing newb
Hello,

I decided to check my water parameters using all the tests I have today. Most things were okay, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are 0. pH is about 8.2, Salinity is 1.025, temp is 78. However, then I went to test my alkalinity and it's off the charts, seriously. I have the Salifert alk test and it only goes up to 15.7 and I think my alkalinity is well beyond that. My calcium is also at 500. A couple weeks ago (Feb. 20) I tested my alkalinity and it was around 10 and my calcium was around 540. I have no idea what caused my alk to rise so high in this time frame. I haven't added any supplements to tank or anything. I did have two small clownfish that were okay for a few days then suddenly passed away at the same time (this past tuesday). Could this be what caused it? What would cause my alkalinity to rise this high when I haven't changed anything? The ONLY thing I can think of is that the last water change I did a few days ago was with the stores 'ocean water' when I normally make my own salt water with RO water and Oceanic salt. Is this something I need to address right away by doing a water change? How do I know what's causing this?

Also, I just added new fish to my tank to see if they survive (trying to find out if it's my water that killed the clownfish or if it was the fish) so I now have two small golden damsels. I never thought to check my alkalinity before I got them, which was obviously a mistake on my part. *sigh*

Any advice is appreciated. :sad:
Thanks, -Ash

If this was a huge sudden changes, it could have caused the death of your fish. A swing in any of your parameters can be deadly.

I would also not rush to change your current readings, i would just go back to the salt you were using and keep an eye on your levels.

If your using a Salifert alk test kit, it has a small bottle of test fluid with it. Make sure the test is reading the same as the test fluid. What you do is use the fluid instead of tank water and run a normal test.
If you used 1 full syringe, just fill another and keep going. I think the test kit might be bad tho.

I believe the test kit is bad. Unless Im mistaken thinking that alk and cal both cant possibly be that high without them precipitating out of the water. it doesnt sound right.

It would end up snowing in the tank with those numbers

Back