high alkalinity

Green128

Reefing newb
i have been doing fine with my calcium parameters, they are around 400-440 ppm, but i cant seem to get my alkalinity straight. it has been stuck between 12-14DkH. The last water change i did was 3 days ago and the last time i added carbonate was a week ago but it still stays between this range. I have only been adding the calcium every 2 to 3 days to keep that in line. The salt i use is neomarine and the test kit i use is an api. Any simple solutions to this?

Just let the water naturally balance out.. Stop dosing any Alk buffers till it drops below 8dkh. There is nothing wrong with your levels where they are at now, Its the swinging Alk that will kill.

Is you current aquarium details correct as far as corals? If so, you dont have any corals that demand Alk or Calcium, except for the moon coral and if your doing regular water changes thats good enough to replenish anything consumed by it. Once your stony coral population is higher you will notice the Alk dropping slowly, then you will know your water column cant keep up with the demand for Alk . Then you can start dosing Alk, but please read up on how to dose correctly.Preventing swings is your goal. Daily dosing is a pain in the a**, so enjoy not dosing as long as you can.

+1 Mushroom There is really no need for you to be dosing your tank at this point. It's good that you are testing, but don't dose unless you can't keep your params stable with regular weekly water changes. Let things be for a while and keep testing to see where it ends up. It should be just fine when it's all said and done. Good luck and keep asking questions.

thanks for the advice, probably gonna do two smaller water changes a week. I also found out that my carbonate hardness was not as bad as i thought and it might be the test kit cause i got a reading of 10 when i got it tested at my LFS. They were using a tetra if i remember the name right.

Back