High Calcium levels?

phastroh

Do Not Listen To Me!!!
Ok here are my water reading as of last night.

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 15
PH - 7.8-8.2 (not sure exactly since it is a color choice)
Alk - 9.6 DKh
Magnesium - 1350
Calcium - 570
Salinity .025

I use Salifert and API test for which my PH and Nitrate are double checked with both.

I have not recently or do I normally dose for calcium. I changed my water last on June 26th. I have plenty of calcium using corals or at least a few.

Even without those I can't see why it is so high. I do not see any buildup at all.

The only thing I have noticed in recently weeks is this red/pink sheet growing on my sumps floor under where I have a light for my Chaeto. Pretty sure that is just algae.

As far as behavior one of my fish made a huge crater in the bottom of the tank so maybe it released some minerals into the water causing the high reading?

I am just not getting the reading. As far as I have read all my other reading do not point to the high calcium build up.

No actually. Its funny you mention that because I had always been using the 5gal bucket and this was the first time I used to 200Gal mix from the box.

Hmm I still have some old saltwater that has been sitting in the brute since the water change but it has had no heater or circulation.

I have to mix some up for this weekend so I will check the calcium in it. Same mix I used for this last change.

If that mix checks out ok I will have to find some other reason.

I saw a chart on a different forum that actually had the list of many many salt mixes and their readings(that come from the manufacturer) and this is rated at 350 but I will check it.

I am going to be making it tonight so I will check it the next night. I have a 600GPH pump to mix so it gets mixed real well.

Reef Crystals usually mixed to around 490 calcium. Unless you are adding a calcium supplement, it's impossible for calcium to rise on it's own. Are you adding any supplements at all? If not, it has to be a testing error. What are you using to measure salinity?

Hydrometer.

I was just thinking the only thing I could come up with is that my ph reading was lower than I thought it was on the salifert color chart. That could cause the sand to become soluble and release calcium. Not the sand but whatever that is in it.

I was just reading the Caribsea site and how their substrate reacts to low ph and buffers. I don't have Caribsea but its the same kind of stuff.

To be honest, I dont see that as an issue unless your alkalinity drops. But it seems to be in a good balance. Dont worry about it unless you see your alkalinity take a dive or your calcium continue to rise.

But, could your test kits be wrong?

I hope not it has been testing great since I got it.

It is a Salifert, but can it go bad.

I was supposed to mix my water yesterday but I only started it this morning so I can't test it till later tomorrow.

All test kits can go bad, normally, you change them once every 6 months. They have a shelf life.

But, dont worry, I honestly dont see it as a problem

Back