High nitrate low ammonia

tp1011

Reefing newb
Hey guys
My nitrates are really high but my ammonia is low ben doing wc every other day for about a week or so. No fish just LR and 3 sponges 2 sea anemone and cuc I have a skimmer in it.

Is there anything I can do to keep the tratrs down a little more.

Thanks

Hey guys
My nitrates are really high but my ammonia is low ben doing wc every other day for about a week or so. No fish just LR and 3 sponges 2 sea anemone and cuc I have a skimmer in it.

Is there anything I can do to keep the tratrs down a little more.

Thanks

How long has the tank been set up?
Did you test ammonia, nitrites and nitrates? If so what are the values?
Water changes are your best way to handle nitrates. Also you can get some macroalgae like chaeto.

My nitrates are 40-80 ppm and my nitrites are .25-.50 and ammonia is 0-.25

The tank has ben set up since January with live sand beginning of February I put 10 lbs on LR 3 weeks later last tuesday I added another 15 LR CUC 3 sponges 2 sea anemones a starfish 2 sea cucumbers from TBS. It may be a lot but what was I going to do with it all throw it away.

I just don't want to loose all the stuff in my tank trying to stay on top of it

Im getting water from LFS and I tested it, zero nitrate ammonia and nitrite

Maybe some chaeto is in my future.

To me, it seems that the additiong of more liverock kicked off another cycle in your tank. This is indicated by the slight ammonia and nitrites. Both of which are very toxic to animals.

Since you don't want any of your other creatures to die, I would keep up on the water changes to keep those levels as low as possible. There is also a product called Prime. It detoxifies ammonia and nitrites.
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Seachem-433-Prime-500ml/dp/B00025694O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361771821&sr=8-1&keywords=prime+aquarium]Amazon.com: Seachem Prime 500ml: Pet Supplies[/ame]

I can't personally recommend this product since I have never used it, but there are mmembers on here who have and say it does work.

Back