High Nitrate

I too am trying Bio-Fuel. I do see results...but my levels go back up overnight. I've never siphoned my tank...(7-8 months)....I think if I siphon and keep up with Bio-Fuel I'll see constant results. I know I have too many fish for my tank...and getting rid of fish isn't an option :) so if I have to add Bio-Fuel daily to keep my nitrates in tow...so be it. :)

I just started the Bio-Fuel on Monday. I Checked everything Sunday night when I got home so I know I am starting at 10ppm. I'll wait a couple more days and see if there is any change.

Did you unplug your protein skimmer? The small bottle I bought says to...the larger bottle they sell at my LFS doesn't say anything about it. I'm just curious what your bottle says...

Ursula, you may have to re-read yours. Mine states : DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT IN ANY AQUARIUM IN WHICH ACTIVE AND EFFECTIVE PROTEIN SKIMMING IS NOT IN USE. It then goes on to say that you can turn your skimmer off for 2-6 hours after the addition of the product.

They only way you can use a sand bed to reduce nitrates is if it's at least 6 inches deep -- preferably 9. That would take up way too much space in most tank. The anaerobic bacteria that turn nitrates into nitrogen gas will not survive in anything more shallow than that, so unless you are running a remote DSB in a refugium or something, it's more effective to find other ways of handling the nitrates.

They only way you can use a sand bed to reduce nitrates is if it's at least 6 inches deep -- preferably 9. That would take up way too much space in most tank. The anaerobic bacteria that turn nitrates into nitrogen gas will not survive in anything more shallow than that, so unless you are running a remote DSB in a refugium or something, it's more effective to find other ways of handling the nitrates.

That's kinda what I thought as well, so I really didn't put much stock into it. And I'm really nit all that interested in adding that much more substrate.

Thanks fastrd, that's what mine says and that's what I'm doing. It's funny though because at my LFS they also sell a large 50 dollar bottle of it and it does NOT say anything about turning off your skimmer. Three of us read it..that's why I was curios what others' bottles said.

The skimmer doesn't just take out all the Bio-Fuel? I'm turning mine off because I thought it gave the 'medicine' a better chance to work. ? My bottle recommends turning off the skimmer for 2-6 hours...

Good news for me this morning! :)

Yesterday my nitrates were 40. Highest they've ever been. UGH.

So I siphoned my tank (first time ever), did a water change and added Bio-Fuel. Tested this morning and they were down to 5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Finally. I'm psyched! I guess I'll forever be a siphoner...

I leave my fuge lights on (two 23 watt CFL bulbs) 24/7. My chaeto grows out of control, and my nitrates have been at zero ever since I set my tank up. Maybe 8 hours is too short for your tank?

Please let me know if I need to adfjust I have your chaeto in the center compartment of my JBJ with the LED light they sell that light only comes on at night 6:00pm till 5:00am is that enough or should I reset the light? I am wondering if since I removed the other chaeto the stuff little berries on it which I read was bad am I starting over? I did another 3.5 gallon water change because the Nitrate was still at 20ppm. How long before I retest?

I don't know if an LED light will be enough... CFL bulbs are better (the squiggly bulbs). You can wait and see, and if the chaeto stays alive it's all good. I'd check your nitrates weekly. If the chaeto is working, they will go down.

I don't know if an LED light will be enough... CFL bulbs are better (the squiggly bulbs). You can wait and see, and if the chaeto stays alive it's all good. I'd check your nitrates weekly. If the chaeto is working, they will go down.

I don't know if you ever looked at it it's the MT-NG4
4 1 Watt LED's
Kelvin 6,500K
the other cheato was growing with it

Back