High Nitrates! Help!

mermaidKaty

Reefing newb
Hi guys,

I've done everything the LFS has told me to do about my nitrates.
They're over 200 on the pink test strip.

I did like a 40% change on Sept 14th (suggested by LFS), added a cap of prime and pH.. and it's still high.
NOW, all my other levels are perfect.... just these dang nitrates!

HELP HELP HELPPPPPP.

47 gallon column aquarium is what I have.

I've read on this vodka method.. anyone suggest this???

I was told to come home and do a water change again, only 20% this time but I want to see what you guys have to say before I do this.

My fish seem fine. My shy little Solar Wrasse is even out a lot. :)

Thanks!
Mermaid Katy.

Wow. Ok, first, I'd get a good liquid test kit. Those strips are not the best. How long has your tank been set up? Did your test strip numbers budge when you did the 40% change?

Your fish will be fine with elevated nitrates, many FOWLR tanks have nitrates in the 100's with no issues. High nitrates are more detrimental to corals and inverts.

That being said, don't freak out, getting rid of nitrates won't happen over night. The first thing I'd recccommend is to go out and purchase a liquid test kit for nitrates. The strip tests are usually innacurate.

Also, your problem isn't an emergency so water changes more then 25% aren't necessary and water changes of 40+% can be dangerous if not done right.

My suggestion would be to do 1-2 water changes a week of about 20-25% and start tracking the nitrate levels and see if they drop and how fast they do.

Some other info that would be helpful is how long has your tank been set up, how many/ what kinds of fish do you have, and how often/much do you feed? Some changes many need to be made in those areas as well to help.

I bought the tank off my local craigslist. It had been set up FOWLR for 2 years I think. I got rid of all the fish in it but 2 pecuillar clown fish (one orange&white one black&white) I had to get a bag of sand from Petco cause there was NO sand or anything on the bottom and I want to house anemone and coral later in life. SO I got more LR cause there were like 4 pieces in there.

There's the 2 clowns.
A blue velvet damsel
And a Solar Wrasse
currently in the tank.

Then I have some what looks to be yuma ricordea mushroom growth says the LFS. (I sent a pic to my friend who owns the LFS)
a leather thats purple/red
And some star polyp on a rock.

OH and 2 hermit crabs (they were in the tank already so I don't know which kind they are.)

Right now I feed every other day, as been told to because I was feeding too much.

Hope that helps.
I want to get nitrate down so I can have a reef tank.

I agree with Sarah/Brian - get a good test kit but don't get one that focuses on low levels (like Seachem). API is the one everyone starts with - there is a good saltwater packet they sell.

I would suggest that you stop using prime for nitrates, its not a practical long term (or even a short term) solution. Also, it may give you false test readings in some kits.

Don't bother with Vodka or what is known as carbon dosing (vinegar, biopellets) at this point - you may introduce other problems (that may not be so easy to solve). Plus, you really should have a protein skimmer for this.

Its a simple equation on nitrates - if you export more than you import the levels will go down. Right now the only means of export you have is water changes - which is OK. You should get a routine down so water changes are easy for you and you can even do them weekly. You have a pre-mix container/bucket that you can figure out the exact amount of salt to add to get the s.g. you want (I use a garbage container and use a pump to pump the water back into the tank).

I think if you start doing regular water changes as suggested and monitor your nitrate levels and if they are coming down - you should be OK. It may take a few changes to see any difference as you may have nitrates locked up in the substrate/rock work by now.

Other things you can do to export nitrates include adding a refugium with macroalgae or adding (assuming you don't have one) a protein skimmer.

What vodka does is that it adds a carbon source to your aquarium and this promotes the growth of anaerobic bacteria which break down nitrates. It also can cause a bacterial bloom and crazy cyano growth.

I agree with Sarah/Brian - get a good test kit but don't get one that focuses on low levels (like Seachem). API is the one everyone starts with - there is a good saltwater packet they sell.

I would suggest that you stop using prime for nitrates, its not a practical long term (or even a short term) solution. Also, it may give you false test readings in some kits.

Don't bother with Vodka or what is known as carbon dosing (vinegar, biopellets) at this point - you may introduce other problems (that may not be so easy to solve). Plus, you really should have a protein skimmer for this.

Its a simple equation on nitrates - if you export more than you import the levels will go down. Right now the only means of export you have is water changes - which is OK. You should get a routine down so water changes are easy for you and you can even do them weekly. You have a pre-mix container/bucket that you can figure out the exact amount of salt to add to get the s.g. you want (I use a garbage container and use a pump to pump the water back into the tank).

I think if you start doing regular water changes as suggested and monitor your nitrate levels and if they are coming down - you should be OK. It may take a few changes to see any difference as you may have nitrates locked up in the substrate/rock work by now.

Other things you can do to export nitrates include adding a refugium with macroalgae or adding (assuming you don't have one) a protein skimmer.

What vodka does is that it adds a carbon source to your aquarium and this promotes the growth of anaerobic bacteria which break down nitrates. It also can cause a bacterial bloom and crazy cyano growth.
When I get paid I'll buy a good testing kit.
I have my step mom mix up salt for me. She has 3 tanks and has been in this hobby for years. She just doesn't know what else to do either.

I have tap water that's primed. And yes on the skimmer.
You should test your tap water for nitrate it my surprise you how high it is. Make a small amount of salt mix like you would for a water change and then test it. You are likely adding nitrate into your tank this way. If you can't use RODI water you should use distilled water.

You should test your tap water for nitrate it my surprise you how high it is. Make a small amount of salt mix like you would for a water change and then test it. You are likely adding nitrate into your tank this way. If you can't use RODI water you should use distilled water.

RODI?? Sorry I'm a newb.

Does your step mom have a reef tank? Yeah, tap water is bad news. I used to buy jugs, finally bought an under sink ro unit from lowes. It's awesome.

I agree with everyone...get some distilled water or an RODI unit, you can buy distilled water by the gallon at Walmart but it will start getting costly

my tap water had around 20-30ppm nitrates and if you are doing water changes with that kind of water, you are wasting salt and time as they won't go down

Back