High Nitrates

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by littlenemo1024, Sep 23, 2010.

1. littlenemo1024

littlenemo1024

Hey All!

1. I just got my tank last week. I started my cycle and did my first testing two days ago. Everything is on schedule my pH and at 8.0 my ammonia was .25 my nitrites are at 0 but my nitrates are at 10. How should I go about getting my nitrates down? Or is that normal?

2. I put my live rock in along with two damsel fish just to have something in the tank till my cycle s finished. I went to the Rockin' Reef and the man told me to put smart start in my tank to speed up the cycle process. I have not put it in my tank yet because I am not sure if it is safe for the damsels. Any advice will be helpful.

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

Thanks
    LittleNemo

littlenemo1024, Sep 23, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. littlenemo1024

OhNoNemo i love triggers

Welcome to the site
    give your tank more time..its normal....my trates are 10 and my tanks almost 5 yrs old

OhNoNemo, Sep 23, 2010
    littlenemo1024 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. littlenemo1024

Rcpilot

Give it 6 or 8 weeks.

If the nitrates get over 40 - do a water change or the damsels may suffer physical damage. High nitrites can cause major health problems for fish too.

Rcpilot, Sep 23, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question