High Nritite Level

That's tough love lol :)

It pisses me off when people kill or harm fish out of ignorance. Gawd damn if ya don't know --- DON'T

I just told him what he needs to do. He may not like how the message was delivered, but it's the damn truth. I've never been accused of being too PC.

It's totally BS that he has 2 fish in there after just a couple weeks of sloshing some salt water around in a glass bowl. No live rock. No RO filter. No idea how to properly cycle the tank. No idea how to care for the fish.

FAIL

Start over.

I just wonder what kind of LFS would sell him fish without asking what was in his tank. I know my store wouldn't even let me buy fish until they were happy with the water samples I was bringing in.

Thats why I told him not to return to that store. They don't care about his success. They just want to sell product. They are probably HOPING he keep killing animals and coming back to buy more.

There's a sucker born every minute - but you don't have to the THEIR sucker.

yea, i get in trouble all the time at work for the exact same thing, if your too stupid to turn on the computer, then how do they expect me to stay calm when trying to explain to them how to parse the dns table?

the repremand i get most is, "your saying the right words, but your saying them with such an attitude"

yea? and? whats your point?

hehehehe

RC pilot: It maybe my fault but the lfs told me it was fine and every thing i need and i believed so yea i guess i am a sucker. Hope you feel good about yourself for upsetting a kid. And as for being a good parent, was your kid the one in the baloon??

RC pilot: It maybe my fault but the lfs told me it was fine and every thing i need and i believed so yea i guess i am a sucker. Hope you feel good about yourself for upsetting a kid. And as for being a good parent, was your kid the one in the baloon??

You're 16- don't try and lay a guilt trip on me because you FAILED to read anything on your own before you jumped into this. You obviously have a computer. You can read. So do some reading here and LEARN.

Lessons in life my friend - not everybody trying to sell you something is your buddy or has YOUR best interest at heart.

So tell me, did you get those poor fish out of there yet?

Follow my instructions and you will be a happy reefer in 6 months.

The balloon thing - uh no. I'm a better parent than that. You had to ask? Really?

Alex it's not RC whom you should be mad at. There is so much information on the net not to mention the wealth of knowledge from people on this site. I'm really sorry your first attempt at this is not going as you envisioned but it is a really tough hobby to be succesful at.

If you want to attain success, swallow your pride and start asking questions like how should I set up my tank? What equipment do I need? What do you think of this? etc.

Now, deep breath, and let's start again. If you would like to know how to set up a tank, please ask.

The main thing is that everyone here has your best interests at heart. We want everyone to be successful and no one is trying to sell you something, not even a quick fix. Everyone on here has made some kind of mistake at some point; it is almost unavoidable in this hobby. God knows I have made several, but with the help and guidance of these great people I know I will make far less than if I were to go at it on my own.

Of course the information is here; it's up to you to use it or not. Don't get too discouraged. Nothing is forever, you'll be having success in no time. Good luck.

Alex, swallow some pride man, it sucks but just do it. Ask your questions in these forums, the people here are super knowledgeable, and are more than willing to help you. Not everyone is going to tell you something you wanna hear, but what is said comes from knowledge in the hobby.
First thing first. Get some live rock! It is a must and a need. Take your clown back to the store you got him from and get some sort of credit if they will not give you your entire price paid back. The damsel...........if it was me I'd just leave in the tank (store credit would maybe be only 50 cents on a 3 dollar fish). I cycled my 55 gallon years ago with about 6 of them in there, none died, and all went back to my LFS for a store credit. That being said I went with what my LFS said to do in order to get it to cycle. These days there are more humane ways of going about it such as using an uncooked shrimp.
Second, don't get discouraged. You are young and naive and obviously didn't know any better but to take the word of the people at your LFS.
Third, research your thoughts about what you want ot do. There is a wealth of knowledge both here and the rest of the net to help you out. Log on and look it up, and make your decision based on your knowledge from online articles and help from others that know what is best for the enviroment you are trying to achieve.
Lastly, read the different threads on here, even if it is something you are not experiencing at the time. It's still a great way to learn things.

I know you guys are trying to help and i really appreciate it. RC Pilot: Sorry for taking things personally i was just had a bad day and was really frustrated. Im going to look for a new home for my fish today and possbily take down my tank or restart.

There's absolutely no need to take down the tank or restart. You just need to add some rock to it. Dry rock, or live rock. That is the environment that the bacteria that keep your nitrites and ammonia low colonize and live on. They do not live free-floating in the water, and the sand bed cannot support a lot of bacteria, which is why you need rock, and why if you don't have rock, you will keep having ammonia and nitrite spikes.

Alex,
I apologize to you. I just get really angry when I see people causing harm to animals. I don't always control myself.

Just take the fish out. It bothers me when people put fish into unhealthy conditions. I realize you were just doing what the LFS said was okay. But now you know they are just after your hard earned money. So avoid that place in the future.

Your signature indicates you have a 29g tank. You need a minimum 30lbs of live rock. 45lbs should be the goal you ultimately shoot for, but 30lbs will work IF you keep the bio-load low. Low bio-load means only 1 or 2 fish in that tank --- but thats DOWN the road. Right now I don't believe you should have ANY fish in there.

Select your fish carefully in a few months. You'll be very limited in a 29g tank. You'd be lucky to have 3 fish in that tank and they all need to occupy different space. For example, a sand sifting goby would be a good addition. It will stay on the bottom most of the time and it will also serve to stir and sift your sand. It's a good bottom feeder that cleans the sand. Then look at an open water fish, such as a chromis. They are colorful and usually swim around in the open water. Next would be some type of rock dweller, such as a hog fish. See? Each fish takes up a different part of the real estate. So nobody fights for territory.

Get some rocks. Put them in there and let them cycle the tank naturally. It will take more than a week or two. It's going to take 4-6 weeks. Could take 8-10 weeks. during this time, all you should be doing is daily top offs with fresh water to keep the salinity stable. No fish. No inverts such as snails or crabs. Just an empty tank with water and rocks. Again, it takes time. Just like a fine wine, a gourmet cheese or a good relationship with a woman. Time is your friend here.

The best thing you can do to insure success in this hobby is #1 Be Patient. It's been said many times in this hobby -- the only thing that happens fast in a reef tank........... is the crash. Reef keeping is a very slow hobby. Things take MONTHS to work out and stabilize. It can take up to a whole year before your tank is even considered "stable"

The next best thing you can do is avoid that LFS and get your advice HERE. We won't steer you wrong - we have no interest in your money. We just want you to be successful.

As far as equipment goes, I wouldn't spend another dime on any pumps, filters or lights. You absolutely MUST have an RO unit in this hobby. A Reverse Osmosis unit can be had for anywhere from $100 -- up to $500. Just depends on your budget.

Back