high output question

michelle

Reefing newb
This is probably going to be the stupidest question posted to this site. But, you've all been helpful and I want to know and understand as much about this hobby as I can, so, thank you for your patience.
A 54 watt t-8, a 54 watt HO bulb, or a 54 watt VHO bulb...they all give off 54 watts, so what makes one a higher output then the other? Is it just that you get more from a smaller bulb? or is one 54 watt actually brighter then another?
I guess what I am wondering is before I upgraded my light I had roughly the same wattage as now, just on flourescents, did I really upgrade?
Thanks Guys and Gals:)

Yes you upgraded and you upgraded big if your still going with Nova Pros.Lighting has way more to do then just watts.Your T5-HO light fixtures gives out a tons more light(PAR) per watt than your normal florescents did.

Are you getting the 36'' Pros or the 48''Pros?

the 48".
Thanks reeffreak, I appreciate it. I will be upgrading in Aug to a 55 gall. I know I will need more light again, but can I use thes in conjunction with something else at that point?

The 48" fixture will fit a 55gal perfect.

I think that part of what makes T-5s so much better is that the smaller bulb blocks less light being reflected back into the tank.

Do those Pro T5's have individual reflectors? I'm contemplating a between a 120 or 125 gallon right now... but dont want to go MH, and I'm on a budget kind of... What would be a good light for the 120 that would penetrate?

The Nova Pro's do have induvidual reflectors.SPS corals should be kept really no more than 18'' underwater.Everything else will do fine where ever.

they have individually contoured reflectors. not a true individual reflector like a higher priced fixture, but they are about the best bang for the buck that's around right now.

Just so you know, kind of an FYI, the wattage on the bulb is the amount of energy the bulb uses to light up. Not the amount of light output. Different bulbs put out different light amounts at the same wattage.

Brian

Back