high phosphate after water change

saltywaters

Reefing newb
So I did a 20% water change tonight and 3hours after doing it I checked the perameters and everything looks ok. A little high on nitrates 3-5 and phosphate at around .15-.20 Is this normal after a water change. I also removed about 15 bio-balls as well.

Also, when you do your water change how are you removing your old water? Are you just sucking mid tank, or are you putting the vacuum in the sand and pulling crap and water from the sand bed?

Also, when you do your water change how are you removing your old water? Are you just sucking mid tank, or are you putting the vacuum in the sand and pulling crap and water from the sand bed?

Make sure you don't stir to much up...

What test are you using to test your phosphates? most hobby kits are not very accurate....I am currently using this test kit, its WAY better than the last phosphate kit but I am still not sure its 100% there is still some room for error and interpretation.

Elos new Professional PO4 (Phosphate), K (Potassium) Test Kits

I have wanted to check out this...
Hanna Checker Phosphate PO4 Colorimeter - English

i am pulling water from midtank. I know you are probably going to say suck it from the sand bed. The problem is it will suck up the sand because it is so fine. What would you recommend?

no, don't suck it up from the sand bed, if you disturb the sand it could ruin your water quality.

I use a powerhead to suck it from the mid-top of my tank. Some people use gravel vacuums close to the sand bed to try and get some detritus up but, I'd rather leave that to my CUC

Back