High Phosphates

cmichael88

Reefing newb
I've had some hair algae and cyano, but it just started to get worse lately. Tested my phosphates and they're through the roof. No skimmer or anything, just a sump-based refugium with chaeto. I set the tank up about 2 months ago, didn't have my RO unit yet so I used tap. I'm hoping it's just left over from that.

Should water changes take care of it? Could I setup my old canister filter with Phosban or would I need a reactor?

Do you have your RODI yet? If you do a water change w/ tap that's already got nitrates, it will be sort of be pointless. If you have your rodi, then just keep doing water changes. Do you already have fish in there?

Are you feeding frozen foods? How often? If you're feeding flakes, switch to frozen. If you're feeding frozen, try rinsing out the food in rodi first before feeding. That's how I do mine. Frozen foods can have phosphates.

Has your chaeto grown at all? It should be "eating up" all that phosphate. Make sure you have the correct lighting.

I'm feeding frozen. Thanks, I'll definitely start rinsing it first.

And the chaeto has grown considerably. I only had like 2 handfuls to start, probably doubled in about 3 weeks. Light is an 18W 7100K that came with the refugium.

Depends....sometimes it's ok to feed twice a day if you're merely splitting one meal in half, if that makes sense. More food = more poop. Since you have no skimmer, you'd have to make sure you clean your sandbed when you do water changes.

A skimmer, although unnecessary, does help get organic material out of the water column before it gets broken down.

Either give smaller feedings twice a day, or just do 1 normal sized meal a day. I feed once a day, sometimes skipping a day or 2.

See if your LFS would test your water. Maybe your test kit is bad (even if you just got it -- I once bought a full test kit...kept giving me high readings. Finally did a side-by side w/ an LFS test, and mine was WAY off. Got another one, did a side by side, and it tested fine.)

Back