HII new here and to salty fish

If she use damsels instead of clowns and decides later that she doesn't want them...isn't that more waste of money.Clarks and Percula clowns are both 10.00 here.Maroons,Saddlebacks are the only ones over 20 bucks each here.

Massey should be fine with her choice of fish.

Dudes, its not your way or the highway.There are more than one way to achieve a goal here

I never said it was my way or the high way, god knows I'm still a newbee and still have alot to learn myself. I just said atleast one might die, and suggested taking them back for a store credit till its cycled to reduce the chance of a casualty. Just a thought.

That is what we all said.

My concerns were more geared towards the speed. I thought it was pretty standard to atleast a wait a few days after the tank has been filled to make sure its stable.

Reeffreak you are right, our job here is to give opinions and advise only, if the person wants to go the other way then by all means try it, and as a community we should let them try it with no ill gotten effects from us or our pushing our way. What we fail to remember at times is what worked for me or you might not work for the next guy and vise versa. So massey if you took what I said as my way or the highway I'm sorry you should explore the hobby if you want to, I tend to stick with the ways I have read and explained by other hobbyist and it has worked for me. So on that que I would like to wish you luck on your journeys in this hobby and do hope the best for you. I'm only hear to learn myself and give advise, if you choose not to follow it then by all means dont. One thing about this hobby is to read read read then find what you think will work best for you then do it. So have fun and let us know how it goes.

Clownfish are infact related to the damsels they are hardy when it comes to cycling a tank though for some reason I cant raise percs I can raise any other type of clown maroon, saddle, clarki, osces,skunks, and false percs. expierament have fun and good luck to you :D

Thanks Bifferwine for defending my gender LOL. As for not following your advise, I was getting advise from many different angles and went with what sounded best to me as a beginner. I will admit that I may be wrong but at the same time I may be right as well. At this point in time my tank is doing great and my 2 clowns Lucky and Coral are just fine, good color, active, playful and good eating. The temp and salinity have remained stable and the other tests of H2O quality are still showing no change (as of yesterday). Anyway I am having problems with my Freshwater tanks and the cure was worse than the illness I have lost 3 fish so far today. I think the medicine threw my PH up to high, it was a little high already and I have been trying to bring it down slowly so I dont shock the fish. But it seems that I didnt get it down cause it is higher now than it was before I medicated my tank. :( I now have a cory cat, upside down cat and 2 female swordtails, and the cory cat is really pale but very active still.

Massey

I would suspect otherwise than PH. To be honest.. in countless years of keeping fish (4 for saltwater and more than I can count for fresh.. I used to run an exotic petstore) I have never once tested for PH.

What was the problem with the tank?

My tank had a little Ich on 3 fish. The LFS recomended some aquarium salt and Melafix from API. I followed the directions on the Melafix and used slightly less salt than the instructions said so that I dont shock the fish by adding it. PH was 7.8 before I added the stuff and it is 8.2 now. The tank has been running for about 3 weeks and was doing fine till the Ich and treatment. BTW the fish that have the Ich are still alive and doing fine the ones that died showed no signs of Ich.

Massey

You want the ph to be 8.2 thats fine. Since you used melafix in the tank I'm not sure if you can put inverts in there now, because I think it has copper in it and that will kill any inverts.

I would suspect against ich as killing the fish. If they only had a little and the tank has only been running for 3 weeks... I'd guess it was something else. The ich was there.. but usually by the time it kills, it is much more prominent on the fish

What type of filtration do you use on your freshwater? How large is the tank? When was the last new addition to the tank?

I was wondering what inverts Bobby was thinking would go into that freshwater tank. Zebra muscles?

I think I just came up with your AFT Title - Chairman of the Obvious

Back