HII new here and to salty fish

Nitrates wont always go down you have to keep them down by water changes. Your ph also needs to come up to about 8.2 or 8.3. I think your thinking about the gobys they do the sand and spit thing, blennys might mine never did though.

Yea I wrote this went outside then came back in and hit send. LOL Then I read your post and was like hah thats what I just said.LOL

Lots of kiss marks all over the class. Most of the time, our lawnmower blenny would just 'sit' on rocks and we would find him in the most unusual places sometimes!

salt-sept11-2003-02.jpg

These were taken a long time ago when I was first trying to figure out saltwater tanks! Back in 02! I guess I better update my signature.. its 5 years of trying to not kill saltwater fishes!!!

george06.JPG

He loved that cluster of barnalces.. He fit perfectly in there and would just sit happy as can be!

Thanks for the ideas and advise everyone. I am watching my stuff checking everyday... still no drop. I may try the Biozyme that Biffer suggested.

Massey

what type of filteration do you use what type of foods are you useing when was the last time you did a substanial water change??

Ok First Jelly's answers:
my filtration is the new Marineland C-220 system. This is like a refugium(sp sry) in a can. My water is clear as a bell.
Last water change has not happened yet as I just started the tank about 3 or 4 weeks ago. It has not finished its initial cycle yet. and my food I use is Spectrum Thera+A My fish love it and I feed them every other day. They eat almost all the food leaving only one or 2 pellets that dont get eaten.

Now for my update. My amonia levels are going down finally and I didnt use any Biozyme. Last weekend my amonia was 4.0 and today it is about 1.5 (darker than 1.0 but lighter than 2.0). the algae is still growing but it has slowed quite a bit but I am getting a little green in there now too. I dont like it but some red slime is showing up here and there as well.

Any advise on adding new fish at this point? I am thinking about getting the lawnmower blemmy to help control the algae.

Massey

I wouldn't add any new fish until your cycle is finished and your water parameters have been stable (ammonia = 0, nitrite = 0, nitrate less than 20) for at least a couple weeks. An algae bloom is normal at this stage, you just have to stick through it. Once your parameters are stable you can add a cleaner crew too, they will help with the algae also.

What will also help the algae is ensuring that you have sufficient circulation and current. Especially for the red slime. Increase the water movement in the areas where the slime is showing up and it will have a hard time establishing itself. You may also want to get a phosphate test. Phosphate in your water will lead to algae problems.

Hi Massey

What media do you have in your filter. Canister filters are great for freshwater but could cause problems down the road in salt if the right media is not chosen...

The filter media is ceramic cylenders in the top with a white mesh covering that. Next is a layer of bio balls, then a couple of bags of charcoal, and last there is 2 layers of filter foam. It is basicly the same as a refugium only in a can.

I just checked the Marineland website and this filter is not yet listed there. It is new on the market, it has only been available for a month or so.

Massey

A refugium is different. A refugium is a place where macro algae and pods can grow to provide the tank with a continuous live food supply. Refugiums usually have a deep sand bed or mud.

Correct Ms. Biffer! Massey - that type of canister filter has been around for ages - Fluval makes a great multi stage canister filter. My brother has had the 404 hooked up to his 65 gallon freshwater for 8 years with no worries

Unless you have the time to daily remove the sponge/foam media and clean - I'd get that sponge out of there. I have only one sponge, in my prefilter for my overflow -it needs to be cleaned daily. Bobby also has to remove his sponges daily.

Thank you Mr. Scott.

Yep if you don't keep your canister filter in immaculate condition you might start to see nitrates build up. When I was having nitrate problems, I removed my canister filter and they dropped by 10 just from that alone.

EDIT: Just to clarify, a refugium is usually a second aquarium or container separate from the main tank that is lit, kinda like a mini-tank to grow algae and food for your fish.

Last edited:
Is there any rule-of-thumb when it comes to the refugium size? I have noticed that one of my LFSs has built one for their 125g tank out of an old 30 gallon tank, and the other LFS has premade ones for sale but nothing in the 30 gallon size. so could I convert a 10 gallon tank into a refugium or whould that be too small for my 30 gallon? Also would there be any benifit to using both systems together? Or would I be limiting the effectivness of one or the other?

Massey

A 10 gallon refugium is quite large for a 30 gallon tank, so that would work well. There really is no rule of thumb except the bigger the better.

Are you talking about using the canister filter and refugium together? You can do this. The refugium does not really add much as far as filtration for your tank. If you are going to have a refugium I'd still recommend having some sort of filter or skimmer.

Bifferwine said:
The refugium does not really add much as far as filtration for your tank.

I would dissagree here. A refugium properly populated with macro algae and other nitrate/phosphate eating organisms would do a great amount of filtration. Although I do agree on the protein skimmer as an essential compliment to the refuge.

;)

/d

Oops my bad. Donny's right about the fuge. What I should have said that a refugium alone is unlikely to provide sufficient filtration for your tank.

Back