HII new here and to salty fish

Donny's Right... I LOVE the sound of that.

PS: hope your aquarium is going good! Feel free to ask any more questions as you get it all together.

/d

OK looking at the advise of you guys here and my LFSs as well everyone says that a protein skimmer is the way to go. The LFS say that my filter is also a great filter but adding the skimmer would make my tank even happier. What brand or model is good. This is a 30gal non reef tank with live rock and fish. I will have an anenome in it eventually.

I am also collecting parts and stuff to build a refugium. The premade ones that are available at the FS are all for tanks that are 75gal or more. I am building this out of a 10 gallon tank, and going to use some acrylic sheets to make the divisions. Now I cant remember the name of the fish but there is a funny looking little fish that has some bright colored spots that need some organisms from the refugium for food. My LFS tho tells me that the sump will kill most of this food source. They use a grey square pump that has intakes on the top. Now I have seen inside my powerheads and all that is in there is a little fan that moves the water. It dont look like there is anything inside to grind up the food. Could it just be their pump or is the organisms so delicate that the impeller will kill them? Also what GPM should I be looking for in a pump for this? and also does it need a light or are they happy in the dark under the tank in the cabinet.

Massey

Massey said:
OK looking at the advise of you guys here and my LFSs as well everyone says that a protein skimmer is the way to go. The LFS say that my filter is also a great filter but adding the skimmer would make my tank even happier. What brand or model is good. This is a 30gal non reef tank with live rock and fish. I will have an anenome in it eventually.

I am also collecting parts and stuff to build a refugium. The premade ones that are available at the FS are all for tanks that are 75gal or more. I am building this out of a 10 gallon tank, and going to use some acrylic sheets to make the divisions. Now I cant remember the name of the fish but there is a funny looking little fish that has some bright colored spots that need some organisms from the refugium for food. My LFS tho tells me that the sump will kill most of this food source. They use a grey square pump that has intakes on the top. Now I have seen inside my powerheads and all that is in there is a little fan that moves the water. It dont look like there is anything inside to grind up the food. Could it just be their pump or is the organisms so delicate that the impeller will kill them? Also what GPM should I be looking for in a pump for this? and also does it need a light or are they happy in the dark under the tank in the cabinet.

Massey
Many people here
say the Aqua C and Coralife Super Skimmer as far as protein skimmers go.Don't go el cheapo and stay away from those Seaclones,heard nothing good on those.
Usually a 30gal is too small for a Mandarin,but sine your setting up a refuge you might be alright.You could always buy copepods though.I doubt a sump will kill pods,alot of people use sumps rather it be a refuge or wet/dry.
My tank is only 5wks old and I'm amaze at how much copepods are on just the glass when I turn the lights on.

If I setting up a refuge and still using the equipment you already have.About 300-400 gallons per hour(GPH).Make sure your overflow is rated higher than the pump(Good idea to put a ball valve on the return).Lastly, if your wanting macroalgae you will want a small light fixture over the refuge.

Hope this helps

You want be sorry for running a good skimmer.I myself run a coralife super skimmer on my 55 and a seaclone 100 30gal.I will be replacing the seaclone when the funds become availble.
The Coralife super skimmer 65 would be a great skimmer on your setup.Their a little tricky when you first set them up,but once you get it right,their awesome.
If your wanting a mandarin in your 30,make sure that find ones that will take frozen food.Other wise it will starve to death.You'll also want to wait untill your tank is at least 7 to 8 months old.
I dont run a sump/refuge so cant help there.

I agree with what Reeffreak and Yote say so far. Don't skimp on a skimmer, it's one of the most important pieces of equipment you will buy. If you find one that you think is good, post your thoughts on here and we'll you what we think about it. I agree that the Aqua C brand is one of the best...

Some people say that a return pump will chop up pods from the refugium, but I doubt this is the case. After all, running a refugium works for so many people to provide live food to their tank (mine included).

I also second Yote's suggestion to make sure you get a mandarin that eats frozen food. These fish are difficult to keep and often starve to death, especially in new tanks, because they are such picky eaters. If you can find one that will eat frozen mysis you will be a lot better off. Keep in mind that even if you see pods in your tank, the mandarin will quickly eat these and then will run out of food (which is why a refugium is important).

A refugium will work better with a light. It doesn't have to be high-powered or anything. You usually keep macroalgae such as caulerpa or chaetomorpha in the refugium, which provides habitat for the pods, and these macroalgaes will need light to survive.

OK what do these pods look like? I dont think I have ever seen them but then again I dont know. Also are Turbo snails nocturnal? I just bought 2 of the little buggers and they dont seem to like my lights.

Massey

They are usually white or tan looking bugs,as small as a needle point to maybe up to a 1/4".Best place for me to see them is on the glass,at the bottom near a corner when the lights first come on.

Turbo snails do that some time.Its almost like their sleeping or something.when mine stay motionless for long periods,its usually taking a crap.

Sorry yote I dogged the Seaclones,Every where I go on the web they had nothing good say about them.

on a side note I keep a Madarin fat and happy in a 72gal. with lots of liverock but no refuge.At first it would only eat the copepods but after a while she did start accepting brine and mysis shrimp.They tend to stare at their food before eating so aggressive fish may limit how much they can get.

Last edited:
I think the general rule of thumb with Mandarins is to buy a fat one - thats how you know they are eaters. We have one in our 46 bow - no refuge but it is a very long established tank...

It all good reef.I'll be relacing the seaclone sometime this fall any way.
I look at em like this,,,The seaclone is yugo of skimmers with remora being the lexus,,,the yugo will get you there,but the lexus will get you there quicker,but you'll pay more for that.

As for looking for pods.The best way to spot them is to take a small flashlight with a red lens and watch the rock a couple of hours after the lights go off,They will look kinda like fleas.

Seaclone a Yugo huh,my Prizm must be a Pinto then.Hah!!I do have another skimmer that I had for years,don't know who even makes it>All I know is on the collection cup it has Excalibur.Works great though.

I ordered the Coralife skimmer that works up to 65Gal. It was the best one that I could afford. I looked into the Aqua-C skimmers and wow they look great but they are a little out of my very limited budget right now. I should have it by Wednesday. I am going to plan my fist water change and filter maintenace for that day too.

Massey

Just a little word of advice on your skimmer.When you get it hooked up and started,make sure that the flow control valve is just opened half way,and let it run like that for a day or 2.Also trun the red adjustment knob to the lowest setting.If your not careful you'll flood your floor.
Their great skimmers and will pull all kinds of gunk out of your tank.

OK since this is a say hi to everyone forum and I have 12 pages now I think I have said hi so this will prolly be my last post to this thread. As for progress I am getting some water ready for a waterchange this weekend, and I am going to put my skimmer on when I get the water done. I decided to wait cause I need to move the tank away from the wall to fit the skimmer. I added a new fishy... It is a Lawnmower Blemmy. It is a funny little guy that likes to hang off the heaters. I also added 2 turbo snails that are doing a wonderful job leaving trails of clean rock behind them. Now here is a question for any one out there... How do I control the green algae? I was getting ALOT of the stuff all over the tank so I left the light off for a few days and the stuff went away. I changed the time of my light from about 12 hours to 10 hours. The tank does not get any direct sunlight but the room the tank is in does get pretty bright even with the shades closed. I am once again starting to get the green stuff all over again. Now would changing the time of my lights again to only have the lights on when I am home (so I can watch my pretty fishys) stress them out?

Right now all 3 fish and 2 snails are happy and healthy I would like to keep them that way.

Massey

You want your lights to be on a regular schedule. I wouldn't leave it off for days at a time, or keep turning it on and off during the day. You are having green algae problems because of high nitrates and/or phosphates. Check these parameters and let us know how they are. Start working to get your nitrates and phosphates down and the algae will go away.

What is the temperature of the tank? I'm just throwing darts at the wall here - but usually when I see fish staying near the heater all the time it usually points to a tank that is too cold

Get a cleanup crew,cut down on your lighting(6hrs or so)if you have no corals,check nitrate/phosphate level and add more flow if you fill you need it.

The tank temp os about 80 this fish just likes that area, and he is the only one the Clowns play all over the tank and sleep in a corner that does not have much current. My nitrates are low, the indicator is inbetween the first 2 colors when I put the vial up to the card (sry cant remember the #s off the top of my head). I dont have a phosphate tester so I will bring some water to the LFS and see what they say it is at. I get paid tomorrow so I will look into getting a Phosphate tester then. Thanks for the help guys.

Massey

Back