Hiiiii

Seriously guys, I don't think we should JUMP on people right off like this. Advice is great and all but not if it's shoved down your throat! People are sometimes stubborn and don't listen to what they don't want to hear. There has got to be a BETTER way to come across without making someone feel stupid or threatened, when they first post. I know everyone means well, but....
JMO-sorry

https://www.livingreefs.com/injured-fish-t19420.html

Did you see the other post with the pictures of the angel shredded to pieces and with a huge chunk missing out of its side? When you care about this hobby and these animals it's really difficult to not speak bluntly when people do stuff like that.

I COMPLETELY understand! I GET IT! I don't disagree with anything you guys are saying. I just disagree with the approach!

If you verbally attack someone then they will most likely retreat AND more importantly NOT listen to what your saying. They leave and don't come back where they would have continued to learn what is good and what is bad. They leave to continue to do what they are doing and probably to continue to do it until they just say that the hobby is just too hard. Who knows how many animals will lose their lives.

However... if you try to reason with them and embrace them and help them learn, then they will listen and learn and thank you later.

So is the satisfaction of telling someone what you think (or know to be true) so important that you risk losing new members and the possibility of educating them further? If so this approach is working!

First, welcome to the site!!!

I myself am new to the saltwater world. Started my tank at the beginning of April. I have an Eheim canister filter on my tank. I came from the freshwater world and was comfortable with the canister filters. I have done a lot of research and have found that canister filters on saltwater tanks is a no no. What I have started doing is running my canister filter for 12-24 hours after I do a water change, to get all the large gunk out that I stir up, and then I turn it off. I leave it up to the skimmer and live rock after that. My nitrates have gone from 20 to 10 in three weeks.

Hope this helps!!!!! :)

I agree with Daugherty. Yes, irresponsible store owners are partly to blame, but ultimately it is the responsibility of the buyer to make sure they know what they are getting into. You can not go through life always blaming someone else for your actions. Yes, a reputable, responsible fish store would have NEVER sold this person that many fish, but maybe he/she has been shopping at several different stores or online. Ultimately, you are buying these animals, you are housing these animals, and they are YOUR responsibility. YOU need to find out about their needs, how to take care of them, and how to responsibly keep them, and NOT pin that responsibility on someone else. No one is to blame for the condition of that tank and the poor shape that the animals are in but the tank owner themselves.
I agree with you and Daugherty. I was just trying to make the point that a newb goes into a "pet" store expecting that they are knowledgeable about pets. Much like you expect that your mechanic knows something about cars. I think it's borderline criminal that the staff responsible to sell these animals knows nothing about them and cannot speak to their care needs. I agree that a newb should seek help and take responsibility for their actions and ultimatley the care of their pet, but isn't that what they [at least they think they] are doing when they ask the retailer for guidance? Can you blame them for acclimating tangs into freshwater [for example] when the person with implied authority told them that it was best to do so?

I COMPLETELY understand! I GET IT! I don't disagree with anything you guys are saying. I just disagree with the approach!

If you verbally attack someone then they will most likely retreat AND more importantly NOT listen to what your saying. They leave and don't come back where they would have continued to learn what is good and what is bad. They leave to continue to do what they are doing and probably to continue to do it until they just say that the hobby is just too hard. Who knows how many animals will lose their lives.

However... if you try to reason with them and embrace them and help them learn, then they will listen and learn and thank you later.

So is the satisfaction of telling someone what you think (or know to be true) so important that you risk losing new members and the possibility of educating them further? If so this approach is working!
Hey Blue,
Dcan is right. No one here wants to discourage you from returning or from seeking advice. Please don't take the comments made here in that way. We are all concerned about the health of your animals, and your enjoyment of the hobby. We are a passionate group, but don't let our passion discourage you from accepting our advice. Just realize that in addition to the passion, there is a wealth of knowledge represented amongst the members of this forum and we are simply trying to help you avoid the same failures that we have endured. You cannot change the actions that brought you to this point, but your actions now that you are enlightened, will define your success in this hobby. Good Luck to you!

Hello and welcome to the site...Even though your tank is a little out of order, stick around on the site, and I guarantee that we will lead you in the correct direction to obtaining the perfect tank...No one here is coming down on you, just trying to help you out a little bit.

hi thanks for all the responds but im also thinking of removing some fish epically all the damNels ^^ and Daugherty and all i didnt pruchase none of the fish they all came with the tank that was givin to me on xmas ive only purchase 3 fish while i had the tank 1 starfish/1 lemon peel ( died after i witness my hermit crab bite him :( ) and the the blue angel that is curently hurt but still alive =( and Smitty i work in corrections so its kinda hard to get me down but none of the post seemed mean to me as im just here trying to get advice and buying a bigger tank might be worth a shot

for all those fish, especially that unicorn, if you purchase a bigger tank to keep them all your looking at buying at least an 8 footer

I'm glad to hear you didn't take it personal...We all(on this forum) just get a little extra sensitive when it comes to this hobby and the well being of the fish.

Are you a correctional officer, deputy sheriff or police officer, and where at?

I'm glad to hear you didn't take it personal...We all(on this forum) just get a little extra sensitive when it comes to this hobby and the well being of the fish.

Are you a correctional officer, deputy sheriff or police officer, and where at?

i work in ventura county

and how big is Biff''s tank? :)

for all those fish, especially that unicorn, if you purchase a bigger tank to keep them all your looking at buying at least an 8 footer

even since i had him the only thing that has grown on the unicorn is his nose thats why when people see him they call him pinocchio
he is the lone reason of me possibly buying a bigger tank as he lets you pet him ive never heard of any fish letting you do that

Back