Hippo tang in a 65?

VAreef

Reefing newb
I have a 65 gallon aquarium and love the hippo tangs. Its a tall as well so it is only 3 ft long. I have seen that the hippo tang takes at least a 70 gallon tank? Do you think I could get by with one in my tank or should I not?

I think your right I was just hoping someone might say yeah go for it. You know this means I have to build another tank to satisfy my need for a tang.

If you can find one that is really small, about 1.5 inches you'll be fine for a year or two. I have a hippo tang in my 55 gallon that is in the 1.5" range and he is just fine. I will pull him out when he grows.

Just make sure you are feeding algae sheets.

i have a yellow belly i havent introduced to my 75 yet. hes still in QT. but hes doing good. i think my 75 will be okay for a while.

but im more worried about him getting along with my yellow tang.

They really like the length swims. It's not so much the volume that drives the need for a large tank, but the length. They tend to get pretty stressed (i.e. Ich) if they are limited in their end to end swimming.

Tall tanks are best for seahorses (hence why I broke down my 45g tall and moved everyone to a 125g). Even in freshwater, when they talk how many fish per gallon, it's really how many fish per square surface area because they need room to swim.

So with all of that being said, my 90 g tank is 48" wide. When considering livestock should I back my choices down to a 55g or 70g? the length of those tanks is the same. Thoughts?

Just get a 125g and be done with it ;)

Sharks for example, need to swim around in order to breath. if you stick it in a long tank, it has swimming room. Stick it in a tall tank of the same volume but shorter length, it has less swim room because by the time it gets its swimming groove on, it hits the end of the tank.

I'm not posing a generalized idea here, because some creatures do prefer a taller tank because they do a lot of up and down swimming like seahorses...but if we're talking about a fish that loves to swim around, it would be happier with more horizontal swimming room. I know some of you have placed tangs in smaller tanks, and have had luck, Good for you. But me, I prefer to follow the guidelines. I was fine living in a small apartment. But once I kept getting bigger and bigger places to live, I was much happier. That's just me.

I have been scouring Craiglist this morning. I don't think I could get an upgrade through my better half with all the other projects going on though. It's hard enough sneaking and buying a coral or two.

I have been scouring Craiglist this morning. I don't think I could get an upgrade through my better half with all the other projects going on though. It's hard enough sneaking and buying a coral or two.
I got my 125 off there for 125 buck.Brand new still factory wrapped.I had to drive 2 hours ,but it was worth it.:D

I know where you can get 210 RR for $200.If he aint already sold it.:D
Dont think he ever put water in it.

Water volume == # of fish,

Length/width/height == type and size

That is generallized BTW....there are always exceptions.

I know where you can get 210 RR for $200.If he aint already sold it.:D
Dont think he ever put water in it.

How long is it? I just measured the wall I have space on and it can handle 72 inches of tank. My wife would so kill me.

That is generallized BTW....there are always exceptions.

Yeah, I know...but was trying to avoid conflict :mrgreen: We have very outspoken reefers here who love to prove how wrong you are just because they have had success with a tang in a small tank.

Yeah, I know...but was trying to avoid conflict :mrgreen: We have very outspoken reefers here who love to prove how wrong you are just because they have had success with a tang in a small tank.

I think reefers tend to be of higher IQ levels so we of course tend to test the rules and want to learn for ourselves sometimes maybe?

Back