Hit a snag with my sump!!!!

Melonbob

Reef enthusiast
Turns out, I can't get my skimmer in or out of my sump while it's under my stand. If I slide the sump out about 12", then I can plop the skimmer in, and slide it into place fine with alot of room to remove the collection cup. However, once its full I'd have to slide it out if I ever had to remove the skimmer for some reason. Any ideas?

I can't remove my skimmer body either,unless draining the sump and twisting it so the corner hangs out the cabinet door.What could go wrong with the skimmer body?There is room to remove the pump if it ever fails and I never clean the skimmer body.Make sure the skimmer doesn't get any light where sludge,algae can grow in the chamber.

As long as you can get the cup off and get the pump out, I wouldn't really worry about it. My sump is in my basement so I have all kinds of room, but I never actually took the skimmer body out of the sump. I've taken the pump out, but never actually drained the body and took it out.

I don't recall seeing what the height of your baffles are in your other threads. If you made the baffles higher than needed maybe you could drop them down to the min. 8" level for the skimmer. Maybe that would give you enough space to turn the skimmer sideways. You could also make the skimmer section a few inches wider. A wider skimmer section might give you enough room to get the skimmer body sideways.

I know it would suck to re-silicone the baffles but I'm just throwing another option out for you to think about. Reeffreak and ccCapt make good points. You have a quality skimmer and are able to get the pump and collection cup off so technically your fine.

Any chance you could plum the skimmer externial?
Or just like Reef and Capt said.All you ever need to clean is the cup and pump.

Back