Hitch hiker Crab

SeaBee

Ha Ha Thats Funny!
I knew I saw something in this rock I bought a few weeks ago....now he peers out a little and I don't know what it is. he's a little crab, black and white legs like a Zebra kinda. He's real fast too! Is he ok in there? I saw him picking at the rock and eating it.

I got a pincushion urchin today, he's like orange and black, the dude called him a Holloween Urchin, sure....

The crab may be safe or it may not be.
Look at its claws.If they are sharp and pointed,then its a predator.If the the tips are cup shaped,then its fairly safe.

Now where are the pics of the urchin?:D

The crab may be safe or it may not be.
Look at its claws.If they are sharp and pointed,then its a predator.If the the tips are cup shaped,then its fairly safe.

Now where are the pics of the urchin?:D

+1

Also, if it looks hairy/fuzzy or has one large claw and one smaller claw, those are good signs of a predator as well...any combination of those traits and you've definitely got trouble.

Ok, I can't even see the crab now, I looked and the closest thing I saw was a Sally something or other, I forget. Here's a few pics of the urchin...

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

The crab had legs like this one, but I didnt see the body to well, he hides upside down in the rock little cave. How would I even try to eradicate this guy? He's super fast too.

52.jpg

The crab had legs like this one, but I didnt see the body to well, he hides upside down in the rock little cave. How would I even try to eradicate this guy? He's super fast too.

52.jpg

The picture didn't show up for me...but if you want to get rid of the guy, you can take a plastic water bottle, cut the bottom off, then drop a piece of defrosted frozen food toward the neck; submerse the bottle with food in the tank near the cave while the lights are off. Then just hang around for about 15 minutes, if the little guy is hungry it shouldn't even take that long

Ok, so how do I get this little crab to come out? Put food into a soda bottle and wait for him to crawl into it? If I cut the bottom off won't he just swim out when I pick it up? I haven't seen him since last night.

Ok, so how do I get this little crab to come out? Put food into a soda bottle and wait for him to crawl into it? If I cut the bottom off won't he just swim out when I pick it up? I haven't seen him since last night.

It depends how elaborate you want to get...also it depends on the size of this crab, but if you use something more like an 8oz. water bottle rather than a 20oz. soda bottle, the water bottle will be a little easier to manipulate. Little additions you can add to this trap include tying string through the sides of the bottom of the bottle and hang the string outside the tank, so that when the crab enters, you just pull up on the string and the bottle comes up neck down and crab at the bottom. Also, drain holes are extremely helpful, however, depending on the size the crab, you have to be careful how big you make these holes. By placing drain holes about every 2 inches starting at the neck of the bottle/around the cap, as the bottle reaches the surface, the water will flow out and down the bottle keeping the unwanted critter at the neck/bottom with no where to go.

cut the top off a bottle and invert it and place it back into the bottle. That way the crab has to climb through the small hole to get in, but has no way to get back out. then punch a few holes in it, tie fishing line around the bottle and wait. Let the crab get in the bottle, then just pull it out of the water with the fishing line.

Back