Hitch hiker!

Yeah you might also try a seaweed sheet by just anchoring it to the rocks my brittle starfish likes to tear pieces off and eat them but he really likes meat.

So he came in on Fiji live rock?

Wow, when you stump the Wet Web Media guys, you know you have something special! :lol:

I have had some polyps in my tank for several years that they were unable to ID too. Unfortunately, they are kinda ugly -- brown and white. They were unsure if they were even anemones or corals. Definitely unlike anything I've ever seen before.

Yes Sir! Came with my last 12lbs of live Fiji rock from a shop in Palm Bay. I haven't called them to let them know I got this guy as I wasn't sure if I could keep it. I would like to keep him to have SOMETHING to watch in this cycling tank! The three damsels are hit and miss for watching. Hope it works out.

Well, I kinda don't believe he'll make it through a complete tank cycle. The nitrates I would think would kill him when they spike.

Something to consider -- he may not be from Fiji. Most LFS keep their live rock in one holding tank. He could be from elsewhere in the world, and crawled onto your rock from another piece.

That is my opinion as well Bifferwine. They are all in huge tanks together...kinda sorta by what you want and $$$. Will try feeding him when I get home.

Well, I kinda don't believe he'll make it through a complete tank cycle. The nitrates I would think would kill him when they spike.

While this is POSSIBLE, I used LR in my tank also and while it did techically cycle my nitrates never got astronomically high so he might be ok in there.

Not saying it is a for sure thing. However stars a much more delicate than the rest of our tank inhabitants when it comes to changes in water perameters. I'm just saying. :dunno:

I hope he survives. He had a pretty rough start. I brought him home after the visit to the reef shop and a couple errands. So he was out of their tank to my place about 2-1/2hrs. I discovered him and plop him in the tank....literally. About 10 minutes later...his little feeler things come out...and he starts moving around after about an hour. I have read these post about them being delicate, but honest to God, that was his introduction to my tank!.He seems to go dormant for a few hours a day near the top of the tank, but then when the t5's kick on at around 2pm, he starts moving around.
AmberSunrise, I am in Longwood/Orlando once every other week...any cool reef places to check out over there?

Well good luck with it I got a linkia starfish and even after carefully acclimating it for hours and it zipping all over the tank really well it still ended up disintegrating after about 2 weeks.

Longwood has 2 really nice stores Oceans direct and fishy business is literally a block away from each other!

I prefer oceans direct even though its a little smaller because the people are very nice an helpful. Fishy business is HUUUUGE and has a ton of stuff but I think the owner and his kid are rude. The last 2 times I went in there I ended up walking out because I couldnt ever get anyone to even ask if I needed help.

If you like corals there is world wide corals on orange blossom trail they have a ton of amazing unique stuff but its not cheap. Once I get all my equipment needs out of the way I plan to go down there and get some stuff.

This is such an expensive hobby but I really love it.

Thanks! Will check into these places.I appreciate your help!
I did get my starfish fed with the oyster. I placed it under one of his arms and he crawled up on it and has been in the same spot for a few hrs.
We shall see~

Linckias can be hit or miss -- some don't last very long, and some seem to live forever. I don't know what makes the difference, but your bad experience with it is unfortunately not that uncommon. :(

Linckias can be hit or miss -- some don't last very long, and some seem to live forever. I don't know what makes the difference, but your bad experience with it is unfortunately not that uncommon. :(

I really wanted to try another one because their color is so striking in the tank but that was really hard to watch him die so now I am scared of them. My serpent starfish is doing fantastic though so maybe I got a defective linkia.

Back