Hitchhiker, coral, hydroid?

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
They started growing a month ago and have become bigger. They have a greenish tint and are currently only a quarter to a half inch long.

DSC00117_1024x768.jpg

Aiptasia is a pest anemone that can take over your tank if you don’t get rid of it. They can be brown, yellow, clear, or a few other colors. If you aren’t sure if something is aiptasia, poke it with something. If it sucks into the rock, it is likely aiptasia. If it just folds up, it is probably a harmless polyp.

I'm certain its Aiptasia, but IMO there are different species that don't cause a lot of havic in the tank. I don't want to sentance anything to death... I think everything has a right to life...

LOL, I'm not sure... Nothing seems to bother me in a reef tank other than things like sharks and blue spot octopus... LOL, Aiptasia never really stung me personally...

Just take my word for it... If you dont want to kill it leave it alone and just keep a close eye on it for a while... observation as your excuse :)

I have Majanos that I've been watching for over a year with no ill effects...
Can you test whether its Aiptasia but touching it to see if you get stung?

Everyone has there opinions on different things but leaving aptasia alone isnt IMO a good idea at all. Number one do not poke it. poking or in any way damaging aptasia cause it to spread quicker. Leaving it alone will only cuase short term headaches. If you have any amount of coral in your tank get the aptasia out. If you have a fish only tank then who cares. aptasia to my knowledge will not sting you. it will however reak havoc on corals. Even Majonos are a bad idea to keep unless you are willing to watch them very closely and kill them as they spread. and they spread quickly once they settle in. If yo let either type of aptasia live and spread it will be almost impossible to kill them. you would have to add peppermint shrimp or a butterfly to the tank as a natural preditor.
All this to say just take the rock out and kill them. the idea that "everything has a right to live" does include all the corals that the aptasia will kill right? HEHE!

As naperenterprise pointed out the stuff folds in a little, it does not pull into the rock. Also, it has a definite green tint and no one has seen green aiptasia.

If it were my tank, I'd kill it off. Unless you know for sure that it's a GOOD GUY, it's not worth risking everything else in your tank over.

Naper, I started with one majano in my tank a couple years ago, and thought what you did. Everything I read said they were mostly harmless, so I just let it be. At this point, I have hunfreds of majanos in my tank. They've managed to spread across 7 feet of rock. They have started growing on top of my corals, and have killed off several of them. Everything they touch turns white and dies.

I do not recommend leaving even one majano or aiptasia in a tank just to "see how they do".

You have a good point, over the one year I have at least 5 little majano's I'll try to get them all out this week when I do my next water change.

Back