Hitchhiker Crab Help

lilyicu

FOWLR
This crab showed up about 2 months ago and was small and white. Now he is getting bigger and darker. I'm not sure what kind of crab he is and if I should take him out.

Any help appreciated.

IMG_0140.jpg

OK - I would now like to join the Crabs are Evil Society!!!

My cute hitchhiker crab has grown to be about three times that size and just hunted down and killed my sea hare that I bought yesterday!!! And I now have another baby crab that just showed up in my tank. I tried to lure it out of hiding today with a silverside but I did not win.

I need suggestions on how to catch my crabs and get them out of my tank before they start eating on my fish too!!

OK - I would now like to join the Crabs are Evil Society!!!

My cute hitchhiker crab has grown to be about three times that size and just hunted down and killed my sea hare that I bought yesterday!!! And I now have another baby crab that just showed up in my tank. I tried to lure it out of hiding today with a silverside but I did not win.

I need suggestions on how to catch my crabs and get them out of my tank before they start eating on my fish too!!
Is your crab a mithrax too? Every crab I've caught in my tank I've managed to do with a pair of tweezers

I really don't know what kind of crab it is. He just showed up in my tank one day and was very tiny. He is now huge and mean. And he brought along his friends. The smaller one I can probably get with a pair of tweezers and a sliverside. The big one is too smart to let me get that close.

I really don't know what kind of crab it is. He just showed up in my tank one day and was very tiny. He is now huge and mean. And he brought along his friends. The smaller one I can probably get with a pair of tweezers and a sliverside. The big one is too smart to let me get that close.
Can you get a pic?

I consider all crabs belonging to the mithrax family as not reef safe except for emeralds.Even emeralds will become not reef safe when they grow up.

I need a better angle picture to be sure.It looks like a mithrax or maybe even a xanthid crab.

I will try and get a better picture soon. I should have gotten and picture of him attacking my sea hare because they were right up against the glass but I was so in shock and desperate to try and save the sea hare that I forgot. My husband was in shock too. We couldn't believe it was happening right in front of us. Evil crab.

Tilt a mason jar at a steep angle ( 45* or steeper ) and drop a silver side in it. In theory,when the crabs in for the meal,it wont be able to get back out.

I had caught one of my crabs about a month ago. Yet, the smaller one eluded me. I went to feed the tank today and one of my serpent stars crawled out and was missing an arm!!!! A whole arm!!! I wasn't sure if my mystery crab was the culprit or not. I felt bad for the starfish and gave him a piece of my silverside. 5 minutes later I found the evil crab attacking him under a rock. My 3 year old niece stood by to tell me where he was going, and with my salad tongs I chased him down in the tank and caught his evil butt!!!! I now have an evil-crab free tank!! :) FInally!!

Back