Hitchhiking anemone?

Phroger

Reefing newb
I purchased some LR and found this guy in one of the crevices. I don't think its an Aiptasia (sp?) but I could very easily be wrong. It is about the size of a half dollar and can move around but seems to enjoy his location already. In addition, he seems very active and when touched by a probe, he does curl and grab on quite strongly. The picture is a little blurry and I'm trying to get another clearer one when its fully open again. Basically, I'm trying to decide if I should get rid of him as a pest or just let him be. Thanks in advance for any and all opinions and solutions.

DSC00261.jpg

I did try to use the Aptasia-Rx removal formula on it, but it didn't seem to work. The anemone went into recession for a few days with no tentacles showing and now has started to spread again. If it is an aptasia, how fast would it spread? This one has been in the tank for over a week and has only moved about 1/2 an inch from its original spot. Also, is there any other suggestions for trying to remove it?

it is hard to tell if it is an app or not you could get a couple pepermint shrimp they will eat it they can spread fast

will the peppermints be okay with two larger fire shrimp? I was thinking about ordering some nudibranches that I read eat it but then don't want them to die by starvation when the anemone is gone.

will the peppermints be okay with two larger fire shrimp? I was thinking about ordering some nudibranches that I read eat it but then don't want them to die by starvation when the anemone is gone.

that i am not shure about i would noy get the nud's they will die when there is no food to eat.

peppermints should be fine with your fire shrimp. I would try to inject the anemone again with aiptasia control. If you have kalkwasser on hand you can mix up some with RO water and use this to inject it as well. You need to be sure to get it inside its mouth so you need to move fast..

Its been suggested to me that it is a tube anemone or a variation close to the tube. Since it does not seem to be spreading or causing any damage to my system, I've decided to let the little guy/gal grow. It made the trip all the way from Indiana to North Carolina on a piece of rock, so I only think its fair to give it a chance. :)

Yeah I don't think its an Aip. BTW, Aips don't move from their spot and cruise around the tank like a BTA. They will sometimes pop up from a different hole in the LR but they stay more or less stationary. Ultimately they move by releasing spores and reproducing.

So, I was able to get a few more pics today. I touched it to make it close up for a better view of the trunk. The last pic is a close up of the tentacles as it started to open back up. Please keep in mind that it isn't as healthy as when first introduced into the tank since I thought it was an ap anemone and treated it with some medication.

DSC00272.jpg

DSC00273.jpg

DSC00275.jpg

Back