Hitchhiking Slug?

Yeah i think you are right.
Heres what i could get of him

IMG00385-20110515-1747.jpg

IMG00388-20110515-1748.jpg

Yeah i got a lot of rocks from a guy that was breaking down his tank.

So he will be fine in my 29? Are they poisonous?
I kept away and was scared to touch it.

Do you know what kind he is?

Cool, thanks.
Heres some other hitch hikers i got and need help identifying

1....This was a polyp of some sort but i accidently squished him. What should i do about him. Take him out? Will he heal?
He is right in the center of the pic. A little hard to see
IMG00396-20110515-2043.jpg

2...Whats this
IMG00395-20110515-2042.jpg

3....Whats the name of these mushrooms.Some of them got smooshed. Should i remove them??
IMG00394-20110515-2041.jpg

4... these were all the hermits and snails that grabbed hold of the rocks
IMG00393-20110515-1916.jpg

5....There were also a lot of sponges on the rocks and I saw a few of those Asternias stars?? I think thats what they are called. The really tiny white starfish looking critters. Look like baby starfish. Some people say they are pest and others say theyre fine. What is your opinion about them???

And here are all my rocks minus 13 pounds i already had. I dont know how many pounds it is. Probably between 30lb-40lb, but i got all of this with the snails, crabs and hitchhikers (except the sea cucumber which i didnt see till i got the rocks home), All for only $60 bucks from this guy that was breaking down his tank.

:^: pretty good deal huh :bounce:

IMG00391-20110515-1914.jpg

looks like you got a great deal!

The mushrooms are fine, nice freebies! #2 is a feather duster. #1 looks like a zoa or paly polyp, give it a few days to open up. It should have no damage from the squashing.

I personally remove the asterinas when i see them, but i dont go after them like crazy. If you have a system that has almost no algae for them to feed off of then you might want to declare war because i think that is when they start eating zoas. But otherwise i dont think they cause too much damage

Yeah I think I'm going to see if my Lfs will take him for store credit. I'm still really new at this so I'm afraid of him dyeing and poisoning my whole tank.

Also you were right about the shrooms and polyp/zoa. They opened up. Ill take a pic of the polyp/zoa in a second

Also, any advice on getting the cucumber out of his rock

Last edited:
Ok here it is.It is brown with a little green in the middle that you cant really see in the pic.
IMG00400-20110516-1018.jpg

Also what are these dots. I didnt put this rock in my tank cause i wasnt sure what they were.

IMG00397-20110516-1015.jpg

Yeah they are squishy and peel off easily.

I have a problem now......

I talked to my lfs and they said they would take the cucumber. To get him out off the rock they recommended that I put the rock out of water to where he is just touching the water in hopes that he would fall back in the water. Well i tried that and now he is pissed. Luckily i took the rock out and put him in a bucket to do this because he is spitting. Are these toxins? Looks like hes spitting out water.

Soooo i dont know what to do with him. Cant really take an angry spitting cucumber to the fish store to be adopted.

Last edited:
I think those white dots might be snail eggs.

The cucumber should be fine once he/she/it settles down. :) If it just looks like water, I don't think it's toxins. Usually they will spit out their guts if they're really mad.

Ok, he calmed down after a little bit and was all happy stretching out for food.

I just got back taking him to the fish store to be adopted

Heres him stretching out

IMG00403-20110517-1159.jpg

I say just keep the cucumber you dont have any fish to kill so give him a try!

Im too much of a coward when it comes to poisonous creatures

:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

My thoughts exactly

Back