HOB DIY Chiller

Kully3xf

Reefer Madness
Before I was into reef tanks, I had some what of a computer obsession... I got really into overclocking and started to get into liquid cooling my PC to keep temps down. My CPU was running in the range of 45 deg c to 50 deg c. depending on load. I developed a liquid cooling system running the water through a series of 2 radiators, 1 with 2 120mm fans, i.e. 240mm x 120mm in length, about 1 inch thick. and a second 1x120mm fan same thickness. this allowed me to bring the temp down to a stable 30 deg c.

So i guess my question here, is I know that this method works on distilled water, would I be able to rig this onto my salt water tank to get my tank chilled? I've all the equipment, and I may start a forum thread on this if I can get some support that the salt water wont cause a clog in the radiators or cause any sever damage to the system. What is are people's input?

This is similar to what I have on my computer RN

final_small.jpg

One thing to consider is the material of the radiators. Aluminum and copper are bad for salt water tanks. Also salt water is very corrosive. Thinking about it, I wouldn't trust it.

I used to run a water cooled rig also. Until I burnt the CPU when the pump failed on me.:squint::frustrat::frustrat: Now I just run some enourmously over sized heat sink and fan. Not to mention the temp sensors and CPU throttling help prevent burnning a processor now a days.

So here's my thought. After thinking of the corrosiveness of the salt water, and the bad idea of running it through the copper radiator, I may have come up with a solution... let me know what you think...

I'd run the radiators inside of a mini fridge (they have tons of room to cool down, the distance in 1 radiator is insane) to cool some regular water down, and then run this really cold water into the tank VIA a pvc tube that's immersed in the tank, running the length of the length of the tank 2 or 3 times. I feel like this would be enough to cool the tank maybe 2 or 3 degrees. It would also protect the water in the tank from exposure.

Would having this pvc that is running cold water be to cold and shock the system around the pipes?

I honestly think you are thinking too much into it. Most people who run tanks don't have a need to run a chiller and those that have heat issues, atleast on this site, swear by using a small clip on fan.

Yeah, I question why you think you need a chiller? 99% of people do not. If it's just something cool for you to do to see if it works, that's neat. But hardly anyone needs one for their tank. That's one of the up sides of having a reef tank -- they do fine running warm. :)

If it got outa hand could always put some RO cubes in :p
Or simply float a bag of ice on the surface...not that ive ever had to but thats just off the top of my head.

Back