HOB Overflow

Discussion in 'New to Reefing' started by camps23, Apr 24, 2011.

1. camps23

camps23

Hi all,
    Im still on the fence with all the things I have been reading about these HOB overflows. I have found a few with great reviews..(ehopps,life reef..etc) My number 1 concern is obviously flooding the tank. If I had a tom pump will that eliminate any chance of flooding if the hydro goes out and the inlet loses suction ? What is the best setup to give me the least chance of flooding ? How many of you are running them ? any floods or close calls ?
    My tank is located in my newly carpeted basement and flooding isnt an option.
    Thanks

camps23, Apr 24, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. camps23

BL1 ............. Moderator

I would go with the lifereef overflow. I've got the CPR one that uses the Tom's pump, I don't like that it doesn't work with out the pump. If for whatever reason that pump fails, then I'm screwed.

BL1, Apr 24, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. camps23

camps23

I heard its a balancing act, if you are able to keep the water level in the aquarium low enough that if you lose suction/ tom pump fails your aquarium can support the amount of water from your sump. A big balancing act

camps23, Apr 24, 2011
  4. camps23

BL1 ............. Moderator

That's why I like the lifereef one better, it doesn't rely on pumps and its designed to not lose suction.

BL1, Apr 24, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question