HOB SKIM + FUGE or just a really powerful skimmer?

rdang

Reefing newb
HOB SKIM + FUGE or just a really powerful skimmer? What would keep nitrates down better. I dont have a sump and have limited space on the back of the tank, and what does over skimming mean?? :bowdown:

I don't think you can over skim. Your skimmer only skims what it can.
I vote Skimmer (a good one) and Live Rock vs. HOB SKIM + FUGE.

Yep.Get a good skimmer.
The combination of a good skimmer,plenty of live rock,and water changes will take care of the nitrates.

If you come home and all your fish are white with no color......you must be "over" skimming! :-)

Go with the skimmer. Octopus makes a bunch of great HOB skimmers. I use the BH-100f

lol the container would look like a bag of skittles.

i yeah, someone else said the bh 100f was good too. ill have to get one! :mrgreen:

or what about this one?

Reef Octopus BH 1000 Hang
on Back Protein Skimmer
by CoralVue

better than BH 100F????:question:

I don't know about the 1000. This is a bit smaller than the 100F. I have a 30g with the 100F and it works great. I like the extra chamber for using carbon or GFO.

The 1000 looks like it has an exposed pump. That may get noisy in my opinion (and may get hot)???

If you have the money, I would make the jump to the BH 800S.
This is the Mercedes of the Octopus HOB skimmers. This one uses a Sicce Italian pump and modified mesh wheel for extra bubble power.

Just my opinion.....If the 800S was out when I bought my 100F, I would have bought it for my 30g.

Reef Octopus BH 800S Hang on Back Protein Skimmer with Sicce Pump by CoralVue* - AquaCave

I don't know about the 1000. This is a bit smaller than the 100F. I have a 30g with the 100F and it works great. I like the extra chamber for using carbon or GFO.

The 1000 looks like it has an exposed pump. That may get noisy in my opinion (and may get hot)???

If you have the money, I would make the jump to the BH 800S.
This is the Mercedes of the Octopus HOB skimmers. This one uses a Sicce Italian pump and modified mesh wheel for extra bubble power.

Just my opinion.....If the 800S was out when I bought my 100F, I would have bought it for my 30g.

Reef Octopus BH 800S Hang on Back Protein Skimmer with Sicce Pump by CoralVue* - AquaCave

Think i could make the filter chamber a fuge in the 100F? :bounce:

I would get the 800S, but i dont know what the minimum tank height is on it. My tank sits on a ledge that is built into the house, not on a stand. If the height of the skimmer is over 16'', it wont work. I guess i could call Auqua Cave and find out lol.

Last edited:
I would try for the 800 if possible.
The extra chamber cannot be a fuge because it's the only exit for the water (you will be blocking it) plus if you put chaeto in there, it would get all clogged up (and you would have to light it....the plastic may melt over time).

You can probably put your heater in there though.

that would literally skim the crap out of my tank! :bounce: its rated for up to 135 gallons! Im waiting for aquacave to reply on minimum tank size. If it will fit, I will buy it :twocents:

I have a cheapo skimmer and a decent refugium no more than 10% the size of main display. The fuge is filled with chaeto. After I setup it up like this my trates came down form 10ppm to zero. (I got it form 30ppm down to 10ppm by improving flow and adding LR.)

BTW, is it chaeto as in 'kato' or as in "cheat-oh"?

Back