Hola, me llamo gtoaster

gtoaster

Reefing newb
Thanks for having me here. I'm brand new to this side of the tracks. Right now i'm in the process of converting my FW tank to SW. I have a 75 gallon glass tank. I ordered an AquaC Remora Pro with a Mag3 pump, and also 4 koralia 4's. I did a little reading and those seemed to be getting pretty good reviews. I'm a little unsure of what type of lighting system I should run though. I plan on eventually having a reef setup, but initially just live rock and fish. Any help would be much appreciated

Welcome to Living Reefs!

Sounds like four k4 might be a bit much to me too.Well,at least you can use the extras to mix saltwater if needed.

There are really two good choices for lighting for a 75g.Either T5-HO fixture(six banks or more w/individual reflectors) or metal halides.There are many configurations of MH-ran solely,MH w/ T5HO supplements,PC supplements.It's hard to give advice when we don't know what you want to spend or what you are wanting to keep.

Personally,a good T5-HO fixture that has at least six banks and individual reflectors will allow all corals and clams depending on the placement.

Welcome to the site.
I ran 4 of those K4s in my 75 with no problems.It is a lot of flow,but I like a lot of flow.

Welcome to the forum. As far as lighting goes I prefer T5's. With a 8x54 T5 light you could keep almost anything. I highly recommend the Sundial by Current USA. Good lights for the money.

Thank you all for the advice. I'm leaning towards a Current USA Nova Extreme 8 bulb setup... I'm finding that the dollar signs add up really quick with this hobby!

Welcome to the site. You will likely find the lights are one of the more expensive pieces of equipment that you need for corals. Once that and the skimmer, which you already have, is purchased, the rest isn't so bad. The Nova Extremes are a good choice. I think you will like the results.

Hi and welcome! You picked out a good skimmer, and you picked out good powerheads. You are off to an excellent start. If you start off with good equipment, it saves money down the road because you don't have to keep upgrading and replacing the old crap. The lights you mentioned would be the ones I'd recommend for your tank too. You will be able to keep anything you want under those lights. Remember to go slow, and have 1 to 2 lbs per gallon of live rock for the best water quality possible.

Thank you all for the advice. I'm leaning towards a Current USA Nova Extreme 8 bulb setup... I'm finding that the dollar signs add up really quick with this hobby!

For about the same cost you could go with the Nova Pros.It's 6x54w w/individual reflectors.The IR will give you more light then the Extremes(8x54w).

Just a thought.

welcome to the site, 4 4's is too much for a 75 unless you keep um up high and the water splash, salt creep will be a maintenance item. I beleive you can do very well with good movement with the threes if you are putting in 4 of um, imo

Back