holes in bottom of tank

beano

habitual reefer
Hey guys, sorry if this has been discussed already, the search feature doesn't work (on my phone) and I looked a few pages through the archives but didn't find what I'm looking for.

I recently inherited.a 150g acrylic tank with two holes drilled in the bottom, one on each side about midway from front to back. Interstingly, the overflow box (reef ready type) has no hole drilled in the bottom, but I digress...

I was thinking of using these holes as return lines, with lock-lines poking through the substrate. I am concerned about power outages and how to prevent overflowing the sump. Has anyone ever used check valves in their setup? Some other solution?

Thanks for your replies!

beano.

How big are the holes? Do you have pics of your set up? Both the holes and the over flow.

I personally wouldn't trust check valves. They can get clogged up with crap and then fail. If you do use them as return lines, I would put a properly sized bulk head fitting in and then pipe up to where you want your water level to by and then add a nozzle pointing where you want it.

it is prob for a closed loop system.

Dude! I think you are so right on, I think this tank was used for freshwater and this may have part of an undergravel system. Thanks for the idea of a closed loop I will have to mull on this.

How big are the holes? Do you have pics of your set up? Both the holes and the over flow.

I personally wouldn't trust check valves. They can get clogged up with crap and then fail. If you do use them as return lines, I would put a properly sized bulk head fitting in and then pipe up to where you want your water level to by and then add a nozzle pointing where you want it.

Sorry no pics, they have no bulkheads (although I haven't gone through the accompanying. Bag o crap) but they look big like 2". The "clogged, non/mal-functioning check valve is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. And the location on the holes precludes and type of "riser" due to aesthetics

I have had check valves in my system and did not have any clogging problems with them. However if the power fails when you are not around (which most likely will be the case!!) Then I don't think check valves would help.

I have a check valve on my return line to prevent backflow, along with a float switch in case my sump gets too low. So far no problems with either.

Back