Holy Hair Algae

chichimom79

reef junkie
Major algae bloom going on. Eeeek! And nothing in there to munch on it :(

021.jpg

022-1.jpg

Also found this already :shock:

004-3.jpg

Looks like I will be getting a few emerald crabs. Anyone have experience with the red emerald crabs? Do they like the bubble algae as well? Should I do some big water changes? My parameters look good, but that much algae is probably lowering the test readings, right? Advice? :frustrat:

They are the same species, just different colors so dont worry about that. And i would start doing water changes, and remove as much the algae as you can by hand. Other than that, I think you know what to do :)

Grab a few turbos - they mowed right through my algae in days! Also, is that a feather duster that hitch-hiked in on the second pic?

Last edited:
I just don't want to put anything in there that is going to be bothered by some temp fluctuation. That's why it's empty. Working on getting a new hood built for it that has a fan or two and can circulate. The tank temp fluctuates at least 4-6 degrees during the day. It's also one of those blooms where I can scrape the glass and fifteen minutes later, the haze is back. The sump is green too.

Back