home frozen fish food recipe ?

poksal

Well? .. I AM trying
OK, redirect me to a thread or let's chat about personal mixes you like and how to freeze them in what.

Also, let's kick around some good "ice trays" or similar for freezing 1/3 cube sized feedings. (that is 1/3 the size of the frozen fish food cubes at the LFSs.)

Feel free to move this thread if there is a better place.... :D

Funny but I have put fresh, chopped seafood in my tank and my fish seem not to care for it. Raw seafood of any kind can easily introduce parasites. Sushi generally will not because it has been prepared for human consumption.

Funny but I have put fresh, chopped seafood in my tank and my fish seem not to care for it. Raw seafood of any kind can easily introduce parasites. Sushi generally will not because it has been prepared for human consumption.

We don't think the frozen fish food we buy is fit for human consumption do we? LOL I am absolutely looking for opinions of mixes of products off the grocers counter...(fit for humans and my fish).. nothing out of the lake or ocean at random.. LOL

Last edited:
I've made frozen foods before. I used mussels, clams, shrimp, oysters, some sheets of nori, some garlic... Probably some other stuff I'm forgetting. I put it in a food processor and used mini ice cube tray (they are gumdrop shaped).

u can get a small icetray like for a micro fridge. make sure what u get is fresh, and wild caught not farm raised. add a little garlic to help boost ur fishes immune system...also vitamin c.

I've made frozen foods before. I used mussels, clams, shrimp, oysters, some sheets of nori, some garlic... Probably some other stuff I'm forgetting. I put it in a food processor and used mini ice cube tray (they are gumdrop shaped).

This.

I also freeze mine in ziplock freezer bags. I just put a little bit and lay it flat. So it is about 1/8th to 3/16th inch thick. Let them freeze and it is very easy to break off a piece to feed.

Next time I make food, I think I will get some sushi roe to throw in the mix.

all is good info.. the thin sheet is a good idea.. I like that, you can decide how much each day and work towards a best amount.

In my fresh water days I would hold the full sized ice cube size in the each tank and when enough floated off I'd move on the the next tank then toss it back in the bag and freezer.

We don't think the frozen fish food we buy is fit for human consumption do we? LOL I am absolutely looking for opinions of mixes of products off the grocers counter...(fit for humans and my fish).. nothing out of the lake or ocean at random.. LOL

Most seafood you buy has been super frozen at -6F for 72 hours which makes it fit for human consumption. This is how the health board lets sushi be served. I am feeding my live stock red sushi roe and they go bezerk over it.

There is probably no way that it's cheaper than buying prepared though. Are you doing this just for fun? It might be easier to buy a couple of the components and mix them, and then freeze it instead of going through all that trouble. I use home-made cubes containing mysis, spirulina, and 10 or so filter foods.

I would use raw, uncooked, unseasoned:
shrimp, clams, mussels, oysters, squid, scallops, and nori. Get from your local grocer or seafood store. I would also add garlic extract and selcon (vitamin supplement). blend until you have small chunks/pieces being careful not to overblend.
I would than strain off any excess water and put in freezer bags to your desired thickness.
Works great and fish seem to love it.

There is probably no way that it's cheaper than buying prepared though.

I would have to disagree. prepared foods cost a lot because they are prepared. Sure the initial cost of making your own food is high, but you get a lot more for your money. I am still working on my mix of shrimp, clams, garlic and nori sheets that I made a few years ago. It cost like 20 bucks to make. I would have gone through at least 3 or 4 packages of prepared foods in that time. And I still have over half of it left.

It may be less of a hassle to try and hook up with your local reef club and see if someone there makes it.

Locally, a member of my reef club starting making frozen and it can be purchased directly from him at the meetings or at a few local fish stores. It has all kinds of stuff in it. My fish are more than happy with it

I agree with BJ. Making your own at home is way cheaper than buying frozen cubes. When I made mine myself, it lasted for a year.

I pay $20 for 5 sheets of mysis, at 20 cubes per sheet and one cube per day which is 3 months of food. I could definitely see it though if you have a lot of fish, I only have a couple.

I think for $20 worth of seafood at the grocery store, you could make a year's worth of food yourself. You probably don't want it taking up that much space in your freezer, though.

Most seafood you buy has been super frozen at -6F for 72 hours which makes it fit for human consumption. This is how the health board lets sushi be served. I am feeding my live stock red sushi roe and they go bezerk over it.

I mis-spoke.. I meant over the butcher's counter.

Good stuff.. I expect to make me up a batch this weekend.

Last edited:
i prefer to feed reef nutrition brand. just cuz it seems a little more natural and its not frozen. also i can feed as much as i want instead of breaking off a tiny piece from a cube. i feed my fish very little once or twice a day. i used to break off like an 8th of a cube and throw the rest away.

I shave the feed amount off a frozen cube with a sharp knife onto a small piece of acrylic sheet that is only used for this one task. I then rake it off into a shot glass with tank water in it. As I hold the shot glass most of the fish have learned that it is feed time. I then spill a little into the tank then as they get into the feed frenzy I dip the shot glass and wash out the contents into the tank. I do not shut down the flow. They consume most it with in seconds and the rest feeds the tank. The shot glass, knife, and acrylic square stay next to my test kits.

BTW.. My algae scrubber has started to kick some ass.. this is cool. I run my skimmer about half the time now. I'm having less and less algae in the glass to have to scrub off. The tank is a different kind of clean... clean with lots of life. ..poor description... but I don't know a better way to describe it.

Back