Homemade sump

fyretr7

Reefing newb
Hi guys,
Got a question for ya.My DIY sump is made out of a 25 gallon aquarium.Not alot of working room in it to work.I have a return with a baffle and some egg crate to catch debris and kinda break-up the water from splashing bad.I have another baffle on opposite end for my return.I designed it so I could place some carbon filtration in it Just in case I needed it.Don't leave alot of room left for what I originally wanted to do.Since my skimmer footprint is so large is it possible to place rock rubble right in with the skimmer?I was thinking maybe a small live sand bed with some small rock pieces in there with the pump and skimmer.I will sock the pump and place it elevated above the bed as necessary.Anyone hear of doing this and do you think it will be sufficient?.....................................Dutch:bounce:

Rock rubble is a good idea, as long as it stays submerged. I'd also not put sand in the same section, it will get sucked into your skimmer and ruin your pump.

can i ask why its good to have LR in the sump?? i know its good natural filtration, but isnt the rock in the DT doing that already?

yea, your right, but if you dont want a DT full of rock, but want more rock in your system, then the sump is the best place to put it, and besides, you cant have too much LR in a system...

the more rock the better the filtration can be. i have almost 300lbs of rock if i only had 140lbs in the tank that would be fine but doulbling it just adds more to the stability of the tank

ok more water is better more rock is better. However if you have more rock you have less water. There has to be a balance point. The idea of having rock in the sump is so you can have more water room in the tank. More water room in the DT gives your fish more area to swim in which in my opion is good. :D

Back