Hooked

amhealy

Reefing newb
Hello everyone! I just started enjoying this hobby a few months ago and I'm hooked. I have a 40 gallon tank with lots of rock, an anenome, 6 corals, 20 snails, 20 hermit crabs, several of those white snails that live under the sand, a small brown starfish, 2 clownfish, a rasse, a chocolate tang, 3 of those small greenish fish, a shrimp, and some cool looking fish that I just bought last night.

Here's a link to my tank: http://www.amhealy.com/aquarium/Reef Tank 1.jpg

I can't figure out how to upload yet on this website.

I'm going to upgrade to a 150 gallon tank this summer and use the 40 gallon tank as a sump. For now, it's been a great tank for getting started. Have a question about a recent development, so going to go post!

Thanks, you guys. Seems like a friendly site so far. You guys must have gotten hooked, too. You both have 3 tanks. I have a couple of empty tanks that are 20 g and 10g. I'm going to turn one of them into a seahorse only tank. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the other one. Maybe fresh water, except that I hear those get pretty dirty and require more work than the saltwater tank.

I have the 75gal. set up right now.The 180 is going up this summer and 72gal. is in the garage.Might need to give that to my younger bro or nephew.

Keep one of the tanks as a quarantine/hospital tank.You never know when you might need it.You don't have to set it up,just keep it handy for whenever fish/coral get sick.Its good idea to QT new fish but I know many who don't.

BTW,once you go salt,you can't go back to boring freshwater.

Great looking tank. Watch out with that 150 gallon tank... it's gonna a bear to get going .. but I'm sure it will look awesome once its up!

amhealy said:
Thanks, you guys. Seems like a friendly site so far. You guys must have gotten hooked, too. You both have 3 tanks. I have a couple of empty tanks that are 20 g and 10g. I'm going to turn one of them into a seahorse only tank. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the other one. Maybe fresh water, except that I hear those get pretty dirty and require more work than the saltwater tank.

Freshwater fish are just as dirty as any other fish. Overall - tank upkeep there is a breeze compared to a reef tank.

There are some really neat "freshwater reef" tanks that can be set up nicely. I had a friend in college that had a 150 gallon freshwater reef. Live plants, lots of neat little schooling fish (a large tank with a a few different tetra schools is really cool). There are so many very pretty cichlid's out there as well. Freshwater tanks can be very pretty and you can find fish just as neat as saltwater if you know where to look.

Here is a neat picture of a freshwater "reef" tank
609_Community_Tank_Darrell_1.jpg

Last edited:
reeffreak said:
Keep one of the tanks as a quarantine/hospital tank.You never know when you might need it.You don't have to set it up,just keep it handy for whenever fish/coral get sick.Its good idea to QT new fish but I know many who don't.

I started reading the info posts and they are really helpful. I'm going to keep one of the tanks as a quarantine tank, as you suggested. The 10-gallon would be perfect.

Adrastos said:
Freshwater fish are just as dirty as any other fish. Overall - tank upkeep there is a breeze compared to a reef tank.

There are some really neat "freshwater reef" tanks that can be set up nicely. I had a friend in college that had a 150 gallon freshwater reef. Live plants, lots of neat little schooling fish (a large tank with a a few different tetra schools is really cool). There are so many very pretty cichlid's out there as well. Freshwater tanks can be very pretty and you can find fish just as neat as saltwater if you know where to look.

Here is a neat picture of a freshwater "reef" tank
609_Community_Tank_Darrell_1.jpg

I was able to go to the pic by pasting the link in a browswer. Very nice freshwater tank. That's a good example of why I might try a freshwater tank. I especially like the idea of testra schools.

BTW, is there any kind of debate here over whether freshwater is better or saltwater is better? Personally, I prefer the saltwater because it seems to be more challenging, but I want to try the freshwater. Maybe I'll find out that it can be just as challenging because of what I want to do with it.

Hello and welcome! Your tank looks really nice. And I highly doubt that anyone on here would dare to say that freshwater is better than saltwater. That might lead to a major smackdown ;).

Oh - there will always be a debate on what is a better tank. It's a simple answer

us coral reefers will say saltwater
those freshwater keepers will say freshwater

and those that just like to keep fish will say both!

I had freshwater for many years.. the only reason I am not doing one now is I'd rather not have a house full of tanks. I do have a list of freshwater fish I'd like to keep one day. Discus is on the top of that that list.

Overa;; - I get more enjoyment out of my reef tank because of the variety of what I can keep and the difficulty in keeping them. Plus.. I like looking at all the purty colors ;)

Looks like you got a great start.If you think your hook now,just give a little more time.

BTW welcome to the reef.

i agree with adrastos..i like both fresh and salt..ad that tank pics is awsome..is it somone you know?? im thinking in setting up a 10g freshwater of schooling tetras...maybe next month..

Back