House keeping and decorating

henryd

Reefing newb
What do most people do with their back wall and sides of their tank? I have been working to get coraline algea to cover the sides and back. It was looking good until I had hair algea cover everything in the tank. As I have been fighting that, and I am making progress, the back wall is sorta brwon and pink. I scape the back wall each night but it never really looks purple and pink now. So I am thinking I should use a razor blade (glass tank) and clean everything down.

It will take some time for the color to come back in your coraline.
The hair algae kinda stains it a brown color.So just work on making sure all the hair is gone,and the color should eventually come back in the coraline.

I clean the front and two sides with a mag float.I let the snails take care of the nuisance algae on the back glass.In time coralline will takeover.

Ok...sounds like the consensus is to clean the whole tank and then let the coraline come back on the back wall. Thanks.

I wouldn't scrape the back glass. If you get your hair algae under control, it will die off by itself. If you scrape off the back glass you are going to scrape off any coralline that's there also. Just give it some time, get rid of the hair algae by improving your water quality, and the coralline will eventually come.

I agree with Biff in that you should not scrape off your wall. get yourself a good cleaning crew for hair algae and you will see a difference in just a few days.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Back