Houston we have a problem

yote

In Memoriam
Got up this morning and every thing looked normal in my 55.So I went into the LFS to help out and pick up some feed for my fish.Then I came home and done my normal everyday water tests,you know,ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,alk,ph,calcium,we'll y'all get the picture.Every thing was normal.
Then I noticed my firefish was not swimming around and begging for food,well I got to searching,he was laying on the floor all dryed up.
Well thats not actually the problem,but it got it started.
While searching for the firefish,I found my emerald crab.His shell split in half,from front to back.
The only thing I can of that would kill like that is a mantis.But I dont recall hearing anything coming from the tank last night( emerald was alive and feeding when I went to bed).But me not hearing anything isnt all that unusall either since I never hear the alarm clock.
So I guess tonight im going predator hunting.I like predators,right up untill they start killing my livestock.

I thought I read somewhere that not all mantis make that clicking sound:scratchch.So you like predators before they kill livestock,duh!Thats what they suppose to do:mrgreen:(your sounding like Jelly..lol)

Happy hunting!!!:Cheers:

Easy there,,lol
I'll keep ya posted on what I find tonight.If its a mantis,he'll go in the 30 along side the lionfish that I got saturday.See how he likes that.

jermpool said:
Good luck yote, maybe thats what happened to your puppy. ;)

Naw Jerm,lol.I think Gracie wallered the puppy to death,lol.:mrgreen:
BTW,Thanks for bringing that other one by,Gracies done got it spoiled.

Yep Bobby,Im sure it wasn't a molt.There was still meat in the shell,and it was split from the head back about 3/4 of the to the tail.Ive about got it in my head that what ever it was,is what made the firefish jump out too.Cause as far as I know,it hadnt jumpped since I got him,untill last night,or this morning sometime.

good hunting yote..i hope your predator skills overcomes the mantis...sorry to hear about your firefish and emerald..i hope no other murder is reported in your tank..good luck...

Thanks Rigo,I have no doubt i'll get em,It might take me a night or 2 but his lil crab killing butt will be mine before im done.The only question is how many more of my critters will become pray before then.

I can only imagine that if he's hidding in a piece of rock that you could take that rock out and then flush him out but i've seen videos of some fast mantis shrimp. They have mantis traps out there on the market. or there easy to DIY. just stick a piece of frozen brine in the trap, i would love to find a mantis at this stage of my tank cause i dont have many corals or fish and i could make a separate predator tank, they look so awesome i think!

DIY Mantis Trap

Last edited:
Well its the next day. Did you see anything? BTW I read artical about that trap that mewb gave you a link to, and they said it works good.

NewbReefer said:
I can only imagine that if he's hidding in a piece of rock that you could take that rock out and then flush him out but i've seen videos of some fast mantis shrimp. They have mantis traps out there on the market. or there easy to DIY. just stick a piece of frozen brine in the trap, i would love to find a mantis at this stage of my tank cause i dont have many corals or fish and i could make a separate predator tank, they look so awesome i think!

DIY Mantis Trap
good one newb..a similar but bigger trap we use it to get crabs ..didnt know it will work on mantis....nice work..

Welp,As in all hunting,I came up empty handed last night.But tonight is a new hunt,with an additions piece of equipment added to use.I borrowed some night vision goggles from a friend at work so I can watch from further back and maybe not spook whatever it is untill I can get a positive ID.

As for traps,If its a mantis,Im gonna make sure he suffers,I already got some fishing line,hooks,and bait ready.

HAHA I'm just picturing you in front of your tank with fishing pole all baited up a beer in the other hand sitting in a lawn chair and riffle in case the fishing line dont work. ROFLMAO Well good luck, and dont get too carried away.

Back