How am I Doing?

mcritter86

Reefing newb
The title says it all. I think I am going great. Would like to get some input and/or criticized. Right now my 55 gallon has a lawnmower blenny (who ONLY cleans up the rock he lives in) and 2 ocellaris clownfish. I added a zoa frag 2 1/2 weeks ago and it seems to be thriving. So, how am I for corals? How am I on feeding? etc. I am going to go to the LFS sat to look at getting a fish or two. I would love a diamond goby to clean my sand and I need a swimmer. Chromis fish seem to be popular for that catagory.
My measurements can be found here: http://www.aquaticlog.com/showcase/dashboard?aquariumId=87
This way you can see the progression of them too. The picture is outdated as I have the new light fixture now.

Lightning:
Aquaticlife 4 bulb HO.
Actinics on 9:00-20:00
Whites on 10:00-19:00
Moonlights on 20:00-9:00

Feeding:
Doing a four day rotation with frozen cubes:
Beefheart, Krill, Mysis Shrimp, and Prime Reef. All kinds of stuff in it, listed here:Aquarium Fish Foods: Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef Frozen Food

Equipment:
HOB filter. I know everyone hates this, change the filters out every other week. 340gph, pointed downward on the left side.
On the right is a Marineland power head that is rated 295gph max. I have it on the lowest setting so I do not know what it is. 200gph? On right side of tank pointed towards the left.
A Reef Octopus BH100 that is probably still being broken in. About 1 1/2 weeks old.
And a UV sterilizer to try to kill parasites in the water.

In a previous thread it was mentioned I may not have enough water flow.

I would add another powerhead. Other than that, everything sounds great. Either of those fish would be fine for your tank. Your lights are also good enough to keep the vast majority of corals. There are lots of easy to keep corals out there. Try looking into some mushrooms, leathers and LPS corals such as frogspawn, torch, hammer, brains, candy canes, etc.

Back