x1 Clownfish (Mated paired)
x1 Six Line Wrasse
x4 Bartlett Anthias (3 Female 1 Male)
x4 Squareback Anthias (3 Female 1 Male)
x10 Blue/green Chromis
x1 Orange peel angelfish
X1 Canary Damsel
x1 Coral beauty

Just out of curiosity what size tank would be needed to house these fish comfortably?

To handle that kind of bio load and to have proper swimming space for the tangs, at least 8ft of length and easily 300+ gallons

I'd remove the moorish idol from your list, they are incredibly difficult to keep in a home aquarium

I believe that you are looking at well over 200 gallons there. Also, Morish Idols should be left in the ocean. They don't do well in captivity for some reason.

I'd say even larger would be better. Realistically your looking at a custom build, but bare minimum that I would even consider is 300 gallons. Are you absolutely set on everything in your stock list? Are corals and inverts in your plans as well?

yes, corals and inverts will both come into play.. As for the stocking list.. its not set in stone but would like to keep it along those lines.. Defiantly want to keep the achilles, hippo, and sailfin though.

Ya, i'd say around 7-8ft. My tank is 7x24x24 with an interior volume of around 180. It could handle most of that. Length is key with the tangs. I wouldn't get my hopes up with those chromis though. Chances are they will fight until there is only one left. Also, the six line is one of the more aggressive wrasses, just fyi.

I currently have 5 blue/green chromis in my 75g.. have had them for about a year now with no problems.. along with them I have 2 clowns and a six line wrasse.. the wrasse is peaceful and stays to himself passing in and out of the rocks. My most aggressive fish in my 75 is my 2 ocellaris clowns that chase each other once and awhile.. I guess its hit or miss. But i will be adding these specimens to my tank upgrade not sure what size ill go with.. its either 150g - 500g.

I will be closing on my house in the next few months.. and want to put a big display tank in my living room wall through to my office.. I want a tank where I will not have to upgrade down the road.. and I would like to keep my 3 favorite fish.. Achilles, Sailfin, and Hippo tangs along with some other smaller fish.. any suggestions?

I'd say if you have the money for a custom build, then go bigger than a 300 - inevitably in this hobby you discover more fish that you want. And yes, I'd get at least an 8ft tank if you do a custom build. But if you want to go the non-custom build route, then I'd get a 265g from Marineland - they are 7ft tanks and the 3 must-have fish on your list will do fine it that size tank long term. You will be more limited on the total number of fish, but you would still be able to add the ones in your 75 and several more before you max out, especially if you can do a large custom sump to increase overall water volume (see d2mini's build thread for ideas). In this hobby, go as big as you can afford to, especially if this is going to be a through-wall display tank!

Edit: I wouldn't add any more chromis to the 5 you already have though as I think it will promote fighting

Ted, I wish i could fit the pacific in my living room wall... lol ;; But thank you for the suggestions I will do some research and let you all know what path i will take.

Hey I understand, it just seems with reefing there isn't a limit. I still havent had the chance, space or money for my dream tank. 300+ in wall would be pretty dang close for me. At one time I had four salties going in the house. Nothing over a 50. Just so limiting.....

yeah.. i hear you. I started with a ten gallon saltwater.. moved up too a 30 gallon.. to a 55.. now my current tank which is a 75.. I was thinking about going to a 150 but whats next after that?.. Next upgrade will be big.. just not sure how big lol. I want something thats going to last awhile and not look small after the cycles finished..

Alrighty.. After thinking long and hard about what im going to do.. Ive decieded on a 300 gallon display tank with custom canopy and cabinet..(my brother-in-law is a wood worker which is a plus and the in wall idea was through the roof $$ wise :( ) The dimensions on the tank are.. 72x36x27 .. It's not the 8ft tank i was hoping for but i think i will be satisfied with this 6 footer. Thank you all for your suggestions.. time for the planning to begin! I will post another thread under "Tank showcase" when i begin the process... thanks again.

Before you get too far into the planning stages, I'd really try to make your dimensions 8 feet if possible, especially since you are going with a custom tank. Your tangs are going to need 8ft of swimming room long term.

fishy reef, I ended up going with a standard tank 300 gallons 72x36x27 its a 6 footer.. i mentioned the word "custom" to my local fish store and for some reason the price jumped about 2k lol.. I should start selling things on craigslist and just put the word "custom" in front.. lol anyways, I think 6 feet should be sufficient.. for a long while.. if my tangs start getting too big for the 300, ill just have to upgrade! :D. I just placed an order for my custom mahogany stand and canopy so 6 feet will have to work.. I have made a new thread under "tank showcase" i have listed a bunch of things im looking to get.. take a look and let me know what you think.. feel free to throw in your 2 cents! thanks!

fishy reef, I ended up going with a standard tank 300 gallons 72x36x27 its a 6 footer.. i mentioned the word "custom" to my local fish store and for some reason the price jumped about 2k lol.. I should start selling things on craigslist and just put the word "custom" in front.. lol anyways, I think 6 feet should be sufficient.. for a long while.. if my tangs start getting too big for the 300, ill just have to upgrade! :D. I just placed an order for my custom mahogany stand and canopy so 6 feet will have to work.. I have made a new thread under "tank showcase" i have listed a bunch of things im looking to get.. take a look and let me know what you think.. feel free to throw in your 2 cents! thanks!

Try to have all your rocks in the center of the tank that way your fish will have a radius to swim, that way it will be more like they have 12 feet of swimming room. Thats how my tank is set up and my tangs love it, they swin thru the back and the front, thru caves and everything, i think it gives the tank and better look also and more swimming room.

Back