How can I tell if an anemone has been dyed

waynestuck

Reefing newb
HI,

I have a question concerning anemones. I have head that people are selling dyed anemones. I would like to know how I can tell if one is naturally colored or has been dyed. I am looking at one frrom an online vendor who is selling a "Neon Rose with Green Base Bubble Tip Amemone". Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
wayne

Thanks again all,

I've been doing some research and everything I've read seems to indicate that if the animal has been dyed, it would be all the same color. The one I'm looking at has a green base with rose tentacles. Hopefully it will be o.k.

Have a great day,
Wayne

I accidentally heated my tank when I turned off my A/C when I went on vacation 2 years ago. My BTA got bleached from a rose into an electric blue/green. It was a total accident. It is returning to color now and looks a lot like what you are describing. Who knows what it will end up looking like, if it will return to the rose color or stay morphed. It has split twice since then and is in great health (all of them). It could be a bleached BTA. Not sure. Good luck.

-Dr Marco:sfish:

Wow I didn't know they did this.I don't think I would willingly purchase any coral or anemone that has this.
Thanks Andy for the link.

Back