how can I ????

RAYRAY

Tiny Tank Club A+ Member
since removing my HOB filter and adding LR and the skimmer, i do not have anywhere to run and media such as chemi-pure or carbon ??? i really dont want to add anouther HOB to do this. I was thinking about putting it in the defuser cup that the skimmer output runs into but dont thing the flow is good enough. Any suggestion on how I can do this ????

you can always use the HOB filter, just make sure you keep it clean, other that that there's a canister filter, but I wouldn't waste ur money, not really any other choices sine it's not drilled

Ray,In your case.It probably wouldnt be a bad idea to invest in a small canister filter.That way you can run carbon and stuff for a week or so at a time.
You'd just have to clean it good.

For running carbon or ChemiPure in my tank, I went to Petsmart and bought a small cheapo HOB filter for like $20. I don't run it 24/7, so it works fine. You basically can use anything where the water is forced through it.

without a sump, HOB is about all you have, unless you want to be ghetto and hang a media bag inside your DT in front of the powerhead - (don't do that).

If you just want cleaning from time to time, get a HOB filter and only use it at night, hang it on the front of the tank and fill it with what you want for chemical clean up and take it off when you wake up. the fish and coral don't care if the tank looks funny at night and neither will you! :mrgreen:

-Doc

Does anyone know of a small canister that I could use for this purpose?

I used to just drop a media bag into the return section of my refugium. But, it's just passive because the water isn't actually FORCED through the carbon.

A small HOT canister would be slick.

I would go for a hang on refugium ig I were you. not only that it is good palce for media but also an excellent source of food for your inhabitants.

I was hoping for something a lot smaller. I already have a Magnum HOT canister. It would only be used a couple times a month for water polishing. A little bitty canister would be just the ticket.

I used to have a Magnum HOT canister filter, and it was of awful quality. Constantly breaking. I had to return it to the manufacturer twice before I gave up on even trying to use it for anything. It would just die all of a sudden and would spew microbubbles into the tank big time.

I would just get a PhosBan reactor and a pump large enough to run up to 90 gallons per hour at double what ever height you will have between your tank and the pump. That will keep your filter fully fluidized. It will actually look like your filter media is floating in the water. Doubling the head height will allow for the increased friction caused by having to force the water through your filter media. For your tank I would choose maybe a Mag 3 pump, which would allow you to have the pump and filter four feet below the tank and still run the filter full of either PhosBan or carbon. The reactor is sold for $31.49 at Drs. Foster and Smith. A Mag 3 should run around $45 to $50. The filter comes with hose fittings and ball valve.

Last edited:
Back