How can you tell if a tank was made for water?

Gdbyrd

life's a beach
My dad has two 20 gallon long tanks at his house he said I could have. Neither of us remember if they are fish tanks or reptile tanks, like the type sold that are very descriptive about not filling with water.

Figure I would make a small tank for play. I know new they are only 20 or 30 bucks, but these are there and free.

The glass on both are about a quarter inch, my guess. No measurements. On one the silicone is clear. The other one is black.

So how do I know if I can or can't use them? Not sure what my plan is with it, figure that out later! Hehe.

no identifying marks on it?

could always fill it and let it set, like in a basement or on your back patio for a week or so, see if it breaks :P

i really don't know what to tell you... i know it's free and there... but a 20gL in my neck of the woods is $39.99... times are tough but if you don't want to risk it you can just get a new one.

yeah there are reptile cages which are either made with thinner glass (in the case of reptile 40B's).... or simply aren't made with their seems built as well as an aquarium tank needs to be. in other words, just cheaper tanks :P

hehe. It's really good to know. After I read this thread last night, I started worry that the 75g "QT" that I got from Craigslist was not made for water. At least I know what to look for now. :) My "QT" uses 1/2" glass and have a center brace. I think I'm ok. :D

Well, I took another look at the tank today. The glass is 1/4". There was a little piece of paper stuck to the bottom of the tank that said L107C. There's also a name, but it's very hard to make out..my best attempt at getting it was CBOULIA H.

What's your guesstimate?

The issue isn't the money..it's my WIFE. She's really pissed at me for spending as much as I have been recently. Apparently blowing 3K over a month on random crap is one of her pet peeves..Who could have known?!?

For 20-30 gal with 1/4", I wouldn't worry about it. It should hold water fine. I would just fill it with water and have it sat outside for a week or two just to make sure.

yeah there are reptile cages which are either made with thinner glass (in the case of reptile 40B's).... or simply aren't made with their seems built as well as an aquarium tank needs to be. in other words, just cheaper tanks :P

they are usuaaly made with 1/8 in glass if they are for reptiles

the bigger ones usually dont have a center brace for a reptile tank

Loosely Translated: "Dave and Wes are stupid" ...and Biff and me because we didn't know either :shock:...what?

I'm with the school of thought that you should just fill it up in the backyard or something and see what happens...May I suggest you fill it with water and red food coloring so that if it does break, it would be like....red water? NO WAIT! Even better, get a little action figure of the Kool-Aid guy and stick in the tank of red water so that if it breaks he would come gushing out too....THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!

...I think I might be stoned :shock:......nope, just sleepy, have a good one guys!

1/4in you will be fine if you are worried about it than fill it up out side and let it sit for a couple weeks but keep it full of water. the sticker you found is just the inspecter tag.

Back