How can you tell if a tank was made for water?

Yea, every time I got a tank, I always just fill it up with tap water up to the rim. Let it sit outside for days.

short of filling it i don't know of anyway.... but way back in the day when i had all kinds of little reptiles. i think i had 4 different lizards at one point. over the course of my research i read somewhere that once a tank has been used for reptiles it shouldn't be reused for fish. can't remember the exact reason though. something to do with the chemicals in there feces? may want to look into it.

sorry, should've researched before i replied. i just went google on my own comment. apparantly reptile urine is like 100% ammonia and that ammonia can soak into the seals on the tank. i would assume when you fill the tank to check for leaks you can just let it sit for a couple days and then check the ammonia of the water.

My guess is that cycled/cycling reef tank should have no problem handling the ammonia leaking back to the tank. Just consider at the peak of a cycling tank, the ammonia could go way off the chart, yet, the nitrifying bacteria can turn them into Nitrite in just a week or 2.

Just to be safe, yea, I would certainly soap it for a few weeks and test for ammonia.

Well, I filled it up and its setting up on the porch. Figure I'll give it a week or two.

My dad had an interesting point..what if the tank is going to break in two weeks and a day..lol.

My main concern is that this is going on my TV stand. My tv is wall mounted so this will be above a VERY expensive computer, a couple month old Xbox 360 elite, and a barely used Wii..

So it would be a more than disastrous event if something happened.

I would think it would be more of an issue with springing a leak than total tank failure. So if I noticed it I should have time to take care of it right?

hey sillicone fixes everything! The only thing that would concern me would be the glass thickness. IF you were to have a LR avalanche that could shatter the glass and yeah, all those nice toys are as good as paperweights.

Well if it was me I wouldnt put a tank above expensive electrical equipment. Even if it doesnt leak every time i mess with my tank I get water on the floor. Could be a real shocking experience. :shocking:

oooh! another I wanna look like Einstein!!!! lol j/k, but he does have a valid point. maybe put all of the expensive stuff above the tank???

I think in this hobby you have to plan for the worst and hope for the best! It is very unpredictable and you shouldn't take risks. They tend to bit you in the ass!

Well if it was me I wouldnt put a tank above expensive electrical equipment. Even if it doesnt leak every time i mess with my tank I get water on the floor. Could be a real shocking experience. :shocking:
+1

....yaaaaaa, a drip can be just as bad as a gush (is it too late to be making Monica Lewinsky jokes?) especially when it comes to electronics (this would be another good place for a distasteful joke)...Nonetheless as Meyer pointed out earlier, "silicone fixes everything" :shock:...yes, yes it does :mrgreen:...so in other words, "put the [silicone] on the glass" and everybody will be happy :bounce:...but seriously, no matter what you do IMO, a tank that close to electronics will always be a cause for concern.

I wouldn't put any non-fish tank related equipment any where near the fish tank. they will get wet no matter how careful you are!

Theres a phrase I always go by when it comes to my tank.
"If you aint floodin,you aint reefin"
If you put the tank above expensive electronics,your going to get saltwater in em sooner or later.

Probably a good idea to avoid it altogether then. I'm not sure what to put there now : /

Thanks for the suggestions guys, going to go ahead and avoid it for now.

I really want to get another tank that's going to be smaller so I can do some coral. My large tank, I have a feeling, is going to be very difficult to reef out. The height is going to screw me :*(

If I could do it over again I'd have just bought a 20-40g long tank.

I dont think the higth of your tank is gonna screw you.You just have to be mindful of what you put where.
Low light stuff on the bottom,moderates in the middle and high light up top.

Back