how do i calculate tank turnover

Status
Not open for further replies.

chez

Reefing newb
My return pump is a sequence hammerhead rated at 5500gph. My question is how do I figure out the turnover rate of the tank? Do I take the size (300gal) of the tank and divide it by 5500? This tells me that the water in the tank gets cycled through 18 times ever hour if my math is correct. Is there a max and a minimum requirement?

Your math is correct. You need to take friction loss, pipe bends and head rise into account.

18x turnover is fine for softies and zoas. Might want more for a dedicated SPS tank.

It sounds like you've got enough to me too. But you may find that you need more movement in a tank that size though.

i plan i getting on of those vortech's the MP40...by the way this site is great and all of you guys are also. i feel like i hired my own reef mentors everytime i have a question someone on this site has the answer or great advice. wish i knew about thi the frist time i tried doing this. well just wanted everyone to know how much i appreciate all the help...
thanks

You are missing a very, very important issue. What are your overflows rated for? If you have 2 1.5" overflow lines, which are rated for 1200 gph each, the max flow you can have without the tank overflowing would be aprox 2400 gph. If your trying to push 5500gph thru 2400gph overflows, you will have an empty sump and an overflowing tank. It is impossible (without flooding) to pump more water into the tank than can be drained back thru the overflows.

I also merged your 2 threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back