How do I determine baffle height?

Charliegrs

Reefing newb
I tried googling this but I wasnt really getting any answers. When you make baffles for a sump, what is the determining factor in how tall you make them? I know that the height of the baffles determines your water line, and that in turn dictates how much water your sump can handle if the pump goes out so you dont get a flood. So my sump is 13.5 inches tall, any suggestions?

I would make them about 2/3 the height of your tank. Once you get it plumbed in, you can turn off the return pump to simulate a power outage, then wait for the sump to stop filling, then top off that water to the top of the sump, then start the pump again. Whatever the water level is at then, is where you draw a line with a Sharpie to indicate where you should not fill it over.

I would make them about 2/3 the height of your tank. Once you get it plumbed in, you can turn off the return pump to simulate a power outage, then wait for the sump to stop filling, then top off that water to the top of the sump, then start the pump again. Whatever the water level is at then, is where you draw a line with a Sharpie to indicate where you should not fill it over.

2/3 height? Sounds good, thanks again Biff. Also do I have to put a bubble trap on both sides of the refugium or just on the inlet side?

on my sump i just put a a bubble trap right before the return so you dont have your pump putting bubbles going back in the tank. on the inlet side i dont have anything i just let my overflow hose drain in to the sump. Like my father always told me keep it simple stupid.

Back