How do I get a tank under my tank????

shanet1975

Reefing newb
Here's my situation. I have a 55 gallon tank on a stand which currently has a wet/dry filter with a built in skimmer. I want to replace this with a rfugium that I plan on making out of a 20 gallon tank (or 15 r whatever I decide). MY question is, how do people get the tanks inside the stand? There is a brace in front and back right in the middle. I'm not sure I'll be able to squeeze the wet/dry system out. I've seen a ton of pictures with them already in there, but never thought about how they got it in...
Any help would be greatly appreciated....

Well, if there isn't room to get the sump in, you will need to take the display tank off and put the sump in the stand from the top.

With a 55 gallon you almost cant get anything decent under there. The max I can get is a 10 regular... Just went through this whole situation so yeah...

Man, what a bonehead I am :) Didn't even think about getting it through the top. That would be a huge pain as well. Maybe I'll just stick to what is under here.....

With that stand a 10 gal is all you're gunna get if its anything like mine, or like someone said, you could put it in from the top... my stand is 10.5" wide and the 10 gal touches both sides tightly, I just with my tank wasnt already full So i could get a nice long tank under there...

You can also set a sump up beside the stand.It dont look as good that way,but it gets the job done.

Would a 10 gallon be sufficient for a 55 gallon tank? I think even if it is, I would still have an issue getting what's under there out. Maybe I'll just stick to what I have....I was thinking of making the wet/dry filter into a fuge. I kind of started with removing the bio balls and adding live rock. I would just need sand in there and some chaeto. And remove the top filter and stick a light under there and UI think I'd be good. It's just a real pain to work on anything under there as space is so limited....

No, IMO having a only a 10 gallon sump wouldn't be worth it. You could barely fit a decent skimmer in it. Also you need to make sure you have enough room for some extra water just in case your return pump fails.

It is a pain in butt when you have to do anything in the sump.Its a real pain when I have to take the skimmer out and clean it.

I have learned that in this hobby, you make lots of mistakes. I have made several HUGE errors in my day that I am going to fix in the near future. It is a nice thing to have a tank and list what things you would like to do different. The next tank you have, you take your list and make the changes and upgrades. It is a process that takes time and patience, but with that, comes learning and that equates to beautiful tanks in our homes. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Leave the tank alone and start planning for a new, BIGGER one.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Thanks for the ideas....Not too sure how soon it'll be before we can swing a new bigger setup, so I think I will run what I have for now. I may try the 2x4 technique to get a sump/refuge under there as that would be best I think.
I see it wedged in the back, but would this hold that much weight???
I'd be afraid the bards would snap...

Back