how do i treat white spot

mdottyp

Reefing newb
how do i treat white spot without a QT, i recently had a fish die, and now my small clown has white spots on his fins, and acting strange (sat on the gravel). i have done a big water change and purchased a uv filter today, is there any thing else i can do. PS i also have coral and inverts so cannot add copper:frustrat:

There are "reef safe" ich additives, but I have heard poor reviews of these products. Any particular reason you don't want to use a QT?

dont have the spare cash to do this,however what will i need, and how do i treat thanks, will all my fish need to go in the QT

yes all your fish will have to go in there

And stay in there for 8 weeks. This breaks the life cycle of the parasite. So your tank would be ick free then.

The size and number of fish will determing the size of the tank.
You will need some places for the fish to hide, Like various lengths of PVC pipe or something like that.

A heater to maintain the water temp

A power head for water circulation

No lights are needed.
And just follor the directions on the meds

thanks for your reply, is there any thing else i can mean time as i will take time to buy and set up a QT, however i do have a small 25L tank will that be big enough

humbug damsil, yellow tail, damsil,(both not infected, x2 clowns, and a fire fish(are now all infected, noticed tonight, really worried now, is this the end of my tank live stock, help im stressing

THey will all be fine in that one tank...set-up the 25 ASAP, start feeding them pellets soaked with Garlic and Vitamins and you may still have a chance to save them

First, are you sure you fish have Ich? They could have Brooklynella. It has been estimated that 80% of wild Clownfish are infected with Brook. In the open ocean this is not a problem but in a closed aquarium its fatal. Ich can be cured by putting your fish in a copper tank but this will not cure Brook. Brook can only be cured with 37% Formalin baths; Formalin will also cure Ich. You need to understand the nature of the parasites. You cannot tell the difference between Ich and Brook without a tissue sample under a microscope. Ich has a life cycle which includes eggs. The eggs lay dormant in your tank's substrata for up to 8 weeks before they hatch and look for a fish host. If they do not find a host they will die. Brook multiplies by cell division. The new cell becomes a swimmer and can persist in a tank as a swimmer for up to 4 weeks. If it does not find a host it will die. The facts are:
1. If one fish in your tank has either parasite the ALL of your fish are infected even if they do not show symptoms.
2. To get rid of the parasites in the tank, the tank must remain fallow for 8 weeks. If you put fish back before the full 8 weeks are up they will be reinfected and you will have to do it all over again.
3. You need to set up a QT tank with nothing in it except a heater, light, circulator, air stone and a HOB filter. No rock, no sand, nothing. Do NOT use anything from the infected tank; mix new clean RO water for the QT tank.
4. Give your fish a Formalin bath every other day for 10 days. This will cure you fish if they have Ich or Brook. Formalin does not acclimate in water. Once you mix it, it starts to dissipate and after two hours its mostly gone. In fact some writers say its reef safe after two hours. So you have to mix a new bath each time and use it right after mixing. There are plenty of articles on the net to tell you how to do this.
progress.gif

Back