How do you adjust your waters salt content quick.

phastroh

Do Not Listen To Me!!!
Ok I have an 80 gallon tank,

I used the Crystal Reef and mixed it like it says maybe a month or so ago. It is the Orange Bucket.

So I checked my water like 2 weeks ago and then just now and it is 1.022

To raise it to say 1.023 or 1.024 what does it take. Like is there a formula for the amount of gallons.

I thought I would just dump like a gallon worth of salt mix. Not a gallon just what they say to put in per gallon and check it in the morning but I don't know if that would even show up.

My 81 dry and 40 live rock is going in says about 11-12PM tomorrow morning and I don't want to be doing this with live stuff in there.

I mean 1.022 is cool but I feel like I would be happier at 1.023.

TB Saltwater recommends 1.022-1.025 so i am right at the edge. I could just put salt in but without knowing I could ruin it and make it 1.030 and that would be a huge problem,

Thanks

Are you using a hydrometer or a refractometer to check? Part of the problem can be inaccurate readings, not inaccurate salt levels.

Here's the formula:
X = amount of water you'll be adding (i.e., how much in gallons you want to add to change the salinity - the larger the change, the more gallons you should do it in)
Y = total water in your system (not the size of your tank, but the amount of total water)
Z1 = salinity you currently have
Z2 = salinity you want
Z3 = salinity to have in the water change bucket

Plug it into this formula:
Z2 * Y - ((Y-X)*Z1
----------------------- = Z3
X

So, to simplify: If you have 75 gallons total water in your system, want to change it from 1.022 to 1.025, using a 5 gallon water change, substitute all those values in above. Z3 comes out to 1.067. So you'd take 5 gallons out of your tank, and replace it with a well mixed 5 gallon batch raised to 1.067.

Or, if you hate math or need a more gradual rise, just add some salt to your top off water until the the tank is at the desired salinity.

Refractometer. Nobody should hate math.

I just figured I would addd a cup of salt right now before i sleep and that should do it.

I did lose probably half to a gallon with all the spills and leaks so maybe that is why it is low.

Wait a sec. My specific gravity is 1.022 but I thought my salinity was 30.

I wrote it down somewhere and just checked it again but never gave notice to that number.

The SG will always be the same with the Salinity I suppose since the meter doesn't move so when it says 1.022 the salinity will always be the same.

When I look into the refractometer the same numbers are always across from each other so the SG and the Salinity will always have the same value as they are always horizontally in the same place.

So why bother having both readings?

yea, I meant specific gravity. I know they aren't EXACTLY constant, but in reality you can pretty much use SG as an accurate measure.
I believe the refractometer is just giving you what the salinity will be with that SG in a NORMAL environment. Things like temp, water composition, etc, will mean the SG does not equate exactly with that salinity.

Nothing is in the tank yet right?
Then just add some salt, let it mix for a bit then measure. Repeat until where you want it. Once you are AT 1.0something... it doesn't take much at all to raise it further.

If you do have fish or inverts in your tank, the safest way IMO, is to top off with salt water until you get to the proper salinity. Once you get there, top off with RO water to keep the salinity where it is supposed to be.

It is best to change parameters slowly.

If you do have fish or inverts in your tank, the safest way IMO, is to top off with salt water until you get to the proper salinity. Once you get there, top off with RO water to keep the salinity where it is supposed to be.

It is best to change parameters slowly.

I agree with this. Your salinity is still within normal range. So there's no urgency or rush to raise it. Just do it over time with your top off water.

Back