how do you keep your refugium clean ? ?

pat

Reefing newb
Hello,
need some help..
My tank has finished it cycle, added a cleaner pack5 days ago ..they have the tank nice and clean ..

My issue is my refugium , I have long brown/green algae growing , I put in a emerald crab a few days ago.but I see no difference , and I can't seem to find him.

I also put cheeto (i think thats what its called )algae from the lfs.

so .. how do you guys keep your refugium clean ? Hermit crabs ?

Ok.. but I thought there was only certain kinds of algae we are supposed to have ..

the reason I ask this is all the pictures of refugiums is see look nice and clean with just a plant growing in them ..

1419538515271.jpg
So you think this is okay ?

Eventually, my chaeto choked out the unwanted algae. Was that hair algae already there? What kind of algae ball r u growing? I grew chaeto...they grow fast under the right conditions.

Yeah .. the hair algae started after the tank cycled , then I added the chaeto a few days later..

I have an emerald crab down there ..but he's not doing much ..

Emeralds are not a good choice for cleaning up unwanted alage in a refugium. They will probably just eat the cheato. Try a large turbo snail (with shell 1.5 inches across. The snail is less likely to crawl over the cheato and more likely to eat the pest algae. Cheato needs strong flow and strong light. Most people underestimate this. Eventually the cheato should choke out the algae.

Back